Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: water purification

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2011
      I've used a Steripen adventurer for 2 years.  The first first time I had it out it stopped working. Turned out it was too sensitive.  It will only work in water, not out of it and there was something up with the setting. I returned it, it was fixed and has been fine since. I used it for 2 of us for 9 days in the Sierras, about 6-8L a day total, and no need to change the batteries. I always take back up Micropur tabs.

      Barbara
      Typos by iPad

      On May 24, 2011, at 1:30 PM, "Jim McCrain" <jim@...> wrote:

      Howdy Judy!

      Yes, the PUR filters are a little heavy and bulky, but they work reliably. Not much to go wrong with them, and as long as you remember to take your time and pump the water slowly, they just don't break down. I have been carrying one of them on ALL my hikes and have never had any problems.

      The SteriPen idea is cool, but I have heard from MANY people that the batteries die very quickly. One guy I know only got to use his for 3 days on a JMT hike before it just stopped working.

      The Sawyer filter is quick and easy, but doesn't have as small a filter/pore size as the PUR. It will take out giardia, but that is about it.

      I DON'T like the MSR Hyperflow or the other new "gravity fed" filters. Again, they are a really cool idea, but the filters seem to clog pretty easily. Also, do NOT let one of these filters freeze, because it will destroy the filter membrane.

      For me? I'll be taking the PUR along again this year.

      Cheers!

      Jim