View JMT from aeral photos

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2007
      I was playing with my spreadsheet and thought it might be fun to take
      the GPS coordinates I had on it and put them into Google Earth and see
      what I got. It was a lot of fun to see the trail from up above. My
      spreadsheet is at http://kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html and if you
      do not have Google Earth you can download it for free from
      http://earth.google.com/ . All you have to do is copy the GPS
      coordinates that look like "N36 34.723 W118 17.565" and paste them
      into the search line in Google Earth, then hit the search arrow. You
      will fly through the air to the location in the coordinates. The
      coordinates I put here are for the top of Whitney. The controls in the
      top right corner of the Google Earth screen allow you to rotate to
      look at it from a different side, or to zoom in or out, but my
      favorite it the top control as you slide it to the right it will
      change you from a top view to a side view, so you can see the contour
      of the area. I was having fun with this and thought you might also.
      Enjoy
      Kevin A.
    • Fred Sharples
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2007
        Hi Kevin,

        I found your spreadsheet a month or so ago and did the same thing, making a
        list of all of your waypoints in Google Earth. It's especially interesting
        from Happy Isles up to Sunrise Camp. The waterfalls almost look real.

        If anyone wants to save the time of entering them all, send me an email and
        I'll mail the kmz file of all of Kevin's waypoints. You can install Google
        Earth, then double click on the file and they will all load up for you.

        Thanks for posting such useful info on your site.

        I'm heading out Monday for a solo southbound JMT. So I'll be offline from
        Saturday to June 26th.

        -fred

          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2007
            Here you go.

            I have edited a few of the exact waypoints a little as the originals
            sometimes didn't match up to the Google Earth views. Also, there is a layer
            called US National Parks that when enabled, shows the trail.

            Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >

            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2007
              I got my original waypoints from guessing as close as I could on the
              Mapsource map on my computer, and then exported it to a spreadsheet.
              I noticed they were off a little as I was using the map last summer,
              things did not always match. If you can get me your file I will be
              happy to post it on my web page with the other stuff. Your last email
              said here you go, but there was not anything attached. I think you
              have to do attachments through personal messages and not web posts.
              Kevin A.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>
              wrote:

              > Here you go.
              >
              > I have edited a few of the exact waypoints a little as the originals
              > sometimes didn't match up to the Google Earth views. Also, there is
              a layer
              > called US National Parks that when enabled, shows the trail.

            • Fred Sharples
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2007
                Yes, I thought I was responding directly to Jeff. Apologies for accidental
                posting. He has the file. I'll send it to you too Kevin.

                Google Earth bitmaps don't always match up to GPS data exactly. I bet your
                waypoints are more accurate. I just wanted people to know that I edited them
                to 'look cooler' in Google Earth and that they don't always match yours to
                the T. In any case they're not so far off as to make navigating a problem.

                <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> , "Fred Sharples" <fred@...>
                wrote:

                > Here you go.
                >
                > I have edited a few of the exact waypoints a little as the originals
                > sometimes didn't match up to the Google Earth views. Also, there is
                a layer
                > called US National Parks that when enabled, shows the trail.
                >

                > From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                > I would really appreciate your kmz file.
                > Thanks,
                > Jeff
                >
                > Fred Sharples <fred@... <mailto:fred%40orangedesign.com> >
                > wrote:
                > Hi Kevin,
                >
                > I found your spreadsheet a month or so ago and did the same thing,
                making a
                > list of all of your waypoints in Google Earth. It's especially
                interesting
                > from Happy Isles up to Sunrise Camp. The waterfalls almost look
                real.

                > If anyone wants to save the time of entering them all, send me an
                email and
                > I'll mail the kmz file of all of Kevin's waypoints. You can install
                Google
                > Earth, then double click on the file and they will all load up for
                you.

                > Thanks for posting such useful info on your site.
                >
                > I'm heading out Monday for a solo southbound JMT. So I'll be
                offline from
                > Saturday to June 26th.
                >
                > -fred
                >
                > From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:johnmuirtrail%
                40yahoogroups.com>
                > [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

              • Kevin Aston
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2007
                  Thanks Fred. I tried your file out and that is great. I have the file
                  posted now at: http://kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html . If you
                  have Google Earth all you have to do is click on the link, save it to
                  your computer, and then double click on the file and it will open for
                  you. I love this kind of stuff almost as much as doing the hike
                  itself. Good luck on your southbound.
                  Kevin