Just might do it

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28 7:18 AM
      I have yet to travel the John Muir Trail but I have been thinking
      about it for quite a while now.
      I've read seemingly every journal/blog that Google has pointed me to.
      I've followed the trail from end to end on Google maps using the
      satallite feature on the highest magnification.
      I live in Modesto, 70 miles from Yosemite. I look east and feel it
      pulling me. I've lived here most of my life and have never walked on
      the trail that's calling me.

      On May 7th I was informed that my department is being outsourced and
      as of June 8th I'll be unemployed. I have applied with a few other
      departments at work (BTW, I'm a security officer at a hospital). So
      far I have had no formal interviews.

      I was thinking that if I find myself without a job, that might be the
      spark I need to head down the trail.

      My original plan (I think I posted this before) was for my oldest son
      and I to do this journey the summer of 2009. That summer he'll
      graduate high school and I'll turn 50, landmark events for both of
      us. I was planning a way for us to do it in 3 weeks (vacation)
      without killing ourselves. My goal was for us to do (about) 15 miles
      per day. Every 4th day would be a "we live here today" day with no
      hiking, just exploring or recouping. I figured this would have us
      done in about 18 days, plenty of time to rest before going back to
      work. BTW, I walk about8-10 miles at work everyday, plus many miles
      just everyday life (only without a backpack). My major drawback is
      I'm underheight (not overweight). I still have good endurance. I used
      to run marathons and roadraced bicycles. Got married and, well, you
      can figure the rest.

      Anyway, I'll have plenty of time. I can slow the pace. Rescue isn't
      too far away if I/we have to bail (honey, can you come and get us?).
      My severance check would cover the remaining gear needed.

      I'm tempted

      My other choice is a roadtrip on my motorcycle. Modesto to San Diego
      to see my sister. Head east to Phoenix where I lived for 10 years
      after highschool, north to Idaho and visit the in-laws, Bend Oregon
      for the rest of my family, then back home. I would try to do this
      avoiding freeways, travelling all backroads. Stay with family and
      camp on the road. A daunting adventure in itself (and one I'm more
      suited to).

      I've got some thinking to do.
    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 8:25 AM
        Why not do both? First, hike the JMT, and then you have some great
        stories
        to tell you family members during your epic bike loop. Two epics is
        always
        better than one. . .