Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Shepherd or Junction Pass Instead of Forester?

  • thomas taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2007
      Thanks Frank!

      I just reserved my permit (and paid the $15 fee) to
      enter Kearsarge Sunday and exit trail Crest 3 June.
      I'm going to try the Junction Pass/Shepherds Pass
      route (which is the original JMT before the new route
      over Forester was constructed in '32) and spend a day
      or two in Center Basin acclimating, a day or two in
      the Wright Lakes area, and camp either at Guitar Lake
      area or at Trail Camp to attempt summiting Mt. Whitney
      on the way out.

      From the Mt. Whitney Store bulletin board, a lot of
      folks are already climbing Whitney from the main trail
      and a number of folks are doing the Shepherd Pass
      trail Sunday. Reservations for the latter are full
      for this weekend. So it appears that I will have some
      company on that bsection. I realize that it is early
      season but for a low snow year the bulletin boards
      have been fairly quiet. It doesn't seem that there
      are as many people doing the PCT as usual.

      Anyway, I'm getting that excited feeling about this
      trip and looking forward to it!! For those of you
      that are "Losing the will to hike," GET OUT ON THE
      TRAIL: IT'S GOOD FOR YOU!!

      Best regards,

      Thomas

      Thomas Taylor