RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Losing the will to hike? Any recommendation. . .

  • Dan McGuire
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2007
      Hey Julio - as far as your trail burnout goes, I wouldn't worry about it to
      much...there is so much amazing stuff out there, every day is a new
      adventure waiting to unfold....a few pieces of advice I have to pass on
      based on my own long distance hikes...

      - Don't get to married to your plan. Take each day as it comes...don't pass
      up the oppurtunity to hike late into the day if it feels right, nor to stop
      at that beautiful lake when it feels right. The mileage will average out and
      you'll make your resupply....don't plan each days stop ahead of time.

      - Allow yourself to be in the moment of hiking...it may take a week or more
      before you get there, but relish the experience of being out in the
      backcountry and leave all the electronic distractions at home. Get back to
      simple living for the month - forget the ipod, sandisk, etc...you may indeed
      have your mind start to roam. You may get bored with the hiking some days.
      You might sing 99 bottles of beer on the wall the whole way through. That's
      ok. It's part of the experience.

      -When you get bored, there will be plenty of things to fill your attention -
      other hikers on the trail, interesting scenery/animals/weather....not to
      sound to zen like, but the trail will provide. Keep yourself open to it.

      and most of all, don't listen to what the rest of us say...hike your own
      hike.

      Enjoy the trip! It's going to be a blast!

      Scooter
      PCT '02 JMT '05 CT '06

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2007
        I found that when I was hiking last summer that the 4 days were tough,
        but I had been sick when I started. As I got going it was more exciting
        every day. We had to bail at Vermillion because on of the guys hurt
        his back, but I was still ready to go and was ticked that I had to
        quit. I fished along the way and caught 64 between Tuolumne and
        Vermillion. I use a brass Pather Martin #4 size. I have a spreadsheet I
        made for the hike for a 3 1/2 week trip. It includes 3 days of layover,
        as I am one of those guys that observe the Sunday day of rest. It
        averages about 12 miles a day. It is on my website at;
        http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html There is a copy of it
        displayed on the page, but you can download is so you can edit as you
        would like. I have it dated for last year from the 19th of July to the
        11th of August, and include all of the major elevation changes and GPS
        coordinates for each of those locations. I have pictures on the site
        too. I wished I would have spent a little more time taking pictures on
        the stretch from Donohue Pass to Garnet Lake. My favoite picures are
        from there.
        I am starting at Reds Meadows on the 19th of July this year and am
        planning on finishing on the 3rd of August at the portal.
        I love this stuff.
        Happy Hiking
        Kevin A

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Julio" <Patronio@...> wrote:

        > As I sit to review my schedule for my southbound JMT hike, I can see
        > some days of 14.5+ miles. I must cover that or more and even that way
        > it will still take me 28 days to complete it (I am taking a zero day
        > to climb Half Dome and another day to chill out at Vermilion Valley
        > Resort). Has anyone in this forum ever thought of losing the will to
        > hike after so many days on the trail? How do you guys have managed
        > tedium, boredom or monotony in the past? I am afraid I would go crazy
        > after the first ten days. . .doing the same thing: breaking up camp,
        > hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any comments or recomendations on
        > this subject will be appreciated. Thanx.

      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 10 , May 25, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mbdingledy" <mbdingledy@...> wrote:

          > I did it in 27 days last year. I took my time and had a great layover
          > day at Evolution Valley. Also spent a day at Vermillion, taking the
          > early ferry there and then leaving the next morning. I had 2 long
          > days - 16 miles on the second day, which included a side trip up half
          > dome, and 16 miles on the last day because I did not want to spend the
          > night next to somoene else's poop at Trail Camp. I never lost my will
          > to do the trail, even though I did have a moment where I felt sorry for
          > myself when I woke up and the temperature was 23 in my tent just below
          > Pinchot pass. I was soloing it in September, so there were fewer
          > people on the trail at the time.

          Hi Marybeth,
          I was looking for you last year I was going NOBO. I didn't do the
          'official trail' last year as I had done it in 2005. I did from
          Horseshoe Meadow to TM.

          I did pass a solo female on Muir pass but I don't think it was you.

          Glad you had such a great trip.

          frank
        • onkelb0b
          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2007
            wrote:
            >How do you guys have managed tedium, boredom or monotony in the past?
            I am afraid I would go crazy after the first ten days. . .doing the
            same thing: breaking up camp, hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any
            comments or recommendations on this subject will be appreciated.<

            If these are your concerns, then you have nothing to fear but fear itself.
            Thunderstorms, food supplies, and squeaking parts were difficulties
            #1-3 on 20 days N->S in 2004. Evolution Lake, Glen and Forester Pass,
            then Guitar Lake in driving rain was a bummer, but since it was my
            third trip, the loss was not great. Food always runs low because long
            days mean great hunger; nevertheless begging on the trail often works.
            The parts, they always squeak, whether its the toes not accustomed to
            the weight and terrain to the hips chafing under the belt, on through
            to shoulders. Heck I often suffer from Sierra neck, soreness due to
            looking up at the mountains surrounding me.
            Still when one has idle time, a journal is my occupation of choice. I
            like to return - revisit places - and so can use a written record of
            the time and features. I keep a record of sites and time needed to
            reach them and so decide where I will stay. For example, Bear
            Creek/Rosemarie Mdws to Goddard Cr looks to be too far, but when one
            understands the clear superiority of the sites 1/2 hour further on the
            trail, there's motivation to continue hiking. (Conversely, I stay on
            the north side of Evolution Lake, a short day, because of the camping
            there, and knowledge I can reach Palisade Cr the next day.) A journal
            tailored to your pace is invaluable for future hikes.
            Learn to cook beyond the freeze-dried reheat. Warm desserts at night
            allow you to pack in calories with more efficient use of heat. Of
            course be careful when/where you cook at night - OK in Upper Basin,
            not advised in Vidette Mdw.
            Expand other personal repertoire. Astronomy and Botany are naturals
            for the territory. I don't stay up at night but I do stop to *smell*
            the flowers. The rangers frown on bear-baiting, however you'll see
            others too - osprey, eagles, bluebirds and tanagers in the air, pikas,
            marmots, and foxes on the ground.
          • Patronio@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 28, 2007
              Thank you so much for those who replied to my inquiry about boredom in the
              trail. Thank to those who responded privately too.
              Julio