Mosquitoes

  • Ewa Bialkowski
    Message 1 of 17 , May 18, 2011
      I can just see them waiting for me because they love me with a passion and the season promises to be ideal for them to keep on multiplying into millions and billions of blood hungry monsters.

      So I need your advice on what kind of netting works for you. Not only do I need protection from mosquitoes, I also need to be able to breathe.

      Help, please.

      Ewa

      Message 2 of 17 , May 18, 2011
        Ewa,

        I hiked with this 3 oz pullover jacket (full head protection).  Breathing was not difficult in it.  About the only time you need to wear it is at camp though as mosquitos are only out twice a day (evening and early morning).   I needed it about 3-4 times on the JMT hike but was very glad I had it when it was needed.

        http://www.lakesuperiorstore.com/store/shop/item.asp?itemid=1469

        Only $16.50 too

        BJ50%20COMPAC%20BUG%20JACKET.jpg

        On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Ewa Bialkowski <ewa.bialkowski@...> wrote:

        I can just see them waiting for me because they love me with a passion and the season promises to be ideal for them to keep on multiplying into millions and billions of blood hungry monsters.

        So I need your advice on what kind of netting works for you. Not only do I need protection from mosquitoes, I also need to be able to breathe.

        Help, please.

        Ewa

      • cjoslyn99
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 6 12:26 PM

          We camped at Tuoulmne Meadows June 28-July 2 and conditions were relatively dry and plenty of mosquitos at the times / places you'd expect them.

          I tried out this deet-free spray from CVS b/c I didn't want to "poison" our kids and it worked quite well.  Just wish I could find a small enough pump spray version or lotion I can fit in my can.  This year, I've Sawyer'ed my clothing / gear and going to see how that works w/ minimal add'l use of on skin repellent.

          CVS Insect Repellent Fresh Scent

        • Dan C. aka Thumper
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 6 1:04 PM
            You may wish to try Avon's Skin-So-Soft. The wife likes it.

            Thumper

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 6 3:41 PM
              I strongly suggest that people who bring along a DEET-free repellant consider also bringing at least a small bottle of high-concentration DEET. It doesn't weigh much and sometimes the skeeters are really bad and only DEET works well enough to keep them away.

              I'm not at all opposed to trying other things first.  DEET is kinda nasty stuff.  But sometimes only DEET wil do the job

              Skin-so-soft also worked somewhat for my very mosquito-attracting daughter, but only if the skeeters weren't bad.  She often needed full-bore DEET

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 6 6:11 PM
                100 DEET works and it's safe in moderate doses. Most people use way to much of it. You don't need to put it on like suntan lotion. Most of the time just a few drops rubbed on the face, neck, and arms are all you need. If you wear nylon or other tight weave shirts and pants they can't get their noses through them. If you insist on wearing shorts in mosquito country the mosquitos are going to love you for it. The only time I've seen DEET not work well was in Sunrise Meadow last August when the little black mosquitos were so thick nothing would stop them except the netting on the tent.

                > I strongly suggest that people who bring along a DEET-free repellant
                > consider also bringing at least a small bottle of high-concentration DEET.
                > It doesn't weigh much and sometimes the skeeters are really bad and only
                > DEET works well enough to keep them away.
                >
                > I'm not at all opposed to trying other things first. DEET is kinda nasty
                > stuff. But sometimes only DEET wil do the job
                >
                > Skin-so-soft also worked somewhat for my very mosquito-attracting daughter,
                > but only if the skeeters weren't bad. She often needed full-bore DEET
                >
                > John Curran Ladd
                > 1616 Castro Street
                > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
                > 415-648-9279

              • Kyle Arn
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 17 11:19 AM
                  I am planning on hiking the southern half of the JMT next year southbound, and I was thinking about doing an ultra light tarp instead of a tent.  When is the best time to avoid moquitoes?

                  Kyle
                • Larry Beck
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 17 11:26 AM
                    First week of September or later depending on the weather. In 2011 there were a lot of mosquitoes even in late Aug/early September. Who knows how 2014 will turn out.

                    I am planning on hiking the southern half of the JMT next year southbound, and I was thinking about doing an ultra light tarp instead of a tent.  When is the best time to avoid moquitoes?

                    Kyle

                  • Kim Fishburn
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 17 12:25 PM
                      Every year is different depending on how much snow there is, and how hot it gets, which translates into how fast the snow melts. Once the snow melts the meadows start to dry out so the later in the season it is the drier it is, which results in less mosquitoes. Another factor is where you camp. Camp in more open areas with a breeze and they'll be less of a problem. I usually find that after about 9PM there are less mosquitoes as it gets too cold for them.

                      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Kyle Arn <arn.kyle@...> wrote:

                      I am planning on hiking the southern half of the JMT next year southbound, and I was thinking about doing an ultra light tarp instead of a tent.  When is the best time to avoid moquitoes?

                      Kyle

                    • robert shattuck
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 17 3:08 PM

                        "When is the best time to avoid mosquitoes?"

                        I hate to rely on experience, but mid-august is a great time . . . the bugs magically vanish. Since "96 I've experienced  july on the JMT a few times and that was not fun.

                        I finally started doing it on or after the 15th of August and it's been relatively bug-less. I can pretty much say I never bother to even use bug juice (I bring a little) and I gave up the oh so heavy extra weight of a head-net a long time ago.

                        Even mid-august of 2011––a big,late, snow season––wasn't bad in mid-august . . . (or maybe like the blood banks the mosquitos finally got handed a directive, prohibiting them from biting anyone that was in Europe between 78-81 and all that mad cow stuff . . . that's why they don't bug me)

                        I also don't bother with tarps or anything that might let even one bug in. I zip up tight and kill whatever might have got in the tent while I was setting up. I like it that way, because they're still out there and they want you.

                        Thing about late august and september is just that things are getting colder and there's always a chance of weather coming in . . . if you like sitting under an exposed sort of tarp during a nice storm or wind, go for it.

                        BOB

                      • Bill Heiser
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 17 5:32 PM
                          It seems like it varies a lot from year to year.  I was on the trail for 30 days during the month of August last year (HI -> WP) and had essentially "no" mosquitoes.  I didn't apply DEET even once.  The only issue I had with insects was really bad flies (like housefly type flies) at the campsite near the Mono Creek Trail by Edison Lake.  There I had to wear my hoodie, even when it was too warm for it, to keep them at bay.

                          July 17, 2013 11:26 AM

                        Message 12 of 17 , Jul 17 9:41 PM
                          I'll second that!

                          I used to work for logging company in British Columbia & Avon's Skin-so-soft was what we stocked for the loggers...because it worked.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dan C. aka Thumper" <dofdear@...> wrote:

                          > You may wish to try Avon's Skin-So-Soft. The wife likes it.
                          >
                          > Thumper
                          > ---- cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > We camped at Tuoulmne Meadows June 28-July 2 and conditions were
                          > > relatively dry and plenty of mosquitos at the times / places you'd
                          > > expect them.
                          > >
                          > > I tried out this deet-free spray from CVS b/c I didn't want to "poison"
                          > > our kids and it worked quite well. Just wish I could find a small
                          > > enough pump spray version or lotion I can fit in my can. This year,
                          > > I've Sawyer'ed my clothing / gear and going to see how that works w/
                          > > minimal add'l use of on skin repellent.
                          > >
                          > > [CVS Insect Repellent Fresh Scent]

                        • nurse_bob3428
                          Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4, 2016
                            >When do they mosquito issue die down?
                            My previous trips to the Sierra's would indicate after the first snow... :(
                            Plan on, and prepare for, mosquitos, and, I guess, be happy they're smaller than the B52s I saw on a trip to Alaska...

                            NurseBob
                          • longritchie
                            Message 14 of 17 , Apr 4, 2016
                              Rule of thumb is that they're mostly gone by sometime in late August. But the mosquitoes are different every year. It depends largely on the snow pack although it's more complicated than just that.

                              In late July 2011 I encountered mosquitoes in Long Meadow (near the Yosemite Sunrise High Sierra Camp) that I at first mistook for chainsaws being used in the vicinity. It was that loud of a roar. I had never felt fear in the face mosquitoes before that day. I ran.

                              In 2014 I walked through that same meadow at about the same time of year and there were ZERO mosquitoes, something I'd never experienced there in the middle of the summer.

                              Two extremes -- 2011 was a big snow year and 2014 was very dry.
                            • Vance Pomeroy
                              Message 15 of 17 , Apr 4, 2016
                                I was there at that time as well. Nasty buggers! I was worried they'd
                                try to pick one of us up and fly off!!

                                longritchie wrote:
                                > mosquitoes in Long Meadow (near the Yosemite Sunrise High Sierra Camp)
                                > that I at first mistook for chainsaws
                              • zahns918
                                Message 16 of 17 , Apr 4, 2016
                                  Oh wow. The books I've read said it should be ok after the end of July, but wanted to check with people to see what they thought. Thanks!
                                • zahns918
                                  Message 17 of 17 , Apr 4, 2016
                                    Very cool. Thank you!