Re: [John Muir Trail] Losing the will to hike? Any recommendation. . .

    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2007
      To avoid boredom on long hikes, take a 4gb Sandisk m260 mp3 player that operates on a single AAA battery -- with the lithium AAA disposable batteries (pack 'em out), they weigh a fraction of alkaline and go for 3 days. We put about 30 audiobooks on the player plus many albums. Listen to a slew of audiobooks while hiking, we've been doing that for 3 years now.

      You can get your audiobooks at audible.com or at the library (I use Easy CD EA Extractor to rip them to mp3). While back in town, I prefer an Ipod Nano to listen to them though. I only use the Sandisk while on trail (or to listen to music at work) - I only use my Ipod Nano for audiobooks. It is best to have one player for audiobooks and another for music. Again on the trail, I use the Sandisk for audiobooks (I don't bother listening to music on the trail).