Losing the will to hike? Any recommendation. . .

  • Julio
    Message 1 of 10 , May 22, 2007
      As I sit to review my schedule for my southbound JMT hike, I can see
      some days of 14.5+ miles. I must cover that or more and even that way
      it will still take me 28 days to complete it (I am taking a zero day
      to climb Half Dome and another day to chill out at Vermilion Valley
      Resort). Has anyone in this forum ever thought of losing the will to
      hike after so many days on the trail? How do you guys have managed
      tedium, boredom or monotony in the past? I am afraid I would go crazy
      after the first ten days. . .doing the same thing: breaking up camp,
      hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any comments or recomendations on
      this subject will be appreciated. Thanx.
    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2007
        In 2005 I planned to do the hike in 30 days and ended up doing it 21,
        plus a day
        each at Mammoth, Vermillion Resort, and Evolution Valley. I only
        did two or three
        14 miles days on the trail. You can easily do the hike in 28 days
        with plenty of
        layover days. If you find the time too long, you naturally hike more
        miles a day to
        get out of there earlier. But I suggest you just relax and take
        advantage of the
        precious time you have in the wilderness. Enjoy.

        Prapanna

        On May 22, 2007, at 8:39 PM, Julio wrote:

        > As I sit to review my schedule for my southbound JMT hike, I can see
        > some days of 14.5+ miles. I must cover that or more and even that way
        > it will still take me 28 days to complete it (I am taking a zero day
        > to climb Half Dome and another day to chill out at Vermilion Valley
        > Resort). Has anyone in this forum ever thought of losing the will to
        > hike after so many days on the trail? How do you guys have managed
        > tedium, boredom or monotony in the past? I am afraid I would go crazy
        > after the first ten days. . .doing the same thing: breaking up camp,
        > hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any comments or recomendations on
        > this subject will be appreciated. Thanx.

      • hmdsierra
        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2007
          You might want to recheck your figures. My then ten year old son and
          I did JMT southbound in 1982. We were out 25 days, two of which we
          took off. Our biggest day was from Bear Creek to Piute Creek and it
          was around 13 miles, much of which was downhill or gentle up. Our
          average was just over nine miles a day.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Julio" <Patronio@...> wrote:

          > As I sit to review my schedule for my southbound JMT hike, I can see
          > some days of 14.5+ miles. I must cover that or more and even that way
          > it will still take me 28 days to complete it (I am taking a zero day
          > to climb Half Dome and another day to chill out at Vermilion Valley
          > Resort). Has anyone in this forum ever thought of losing the will to
          > hike after so many days on the trail? How do you guys have managed
          > tedium, boredom or monotony in the past? I am afraid I would go crazy
          > after the first ten days. . .doing the same thing: breaking up camp,
          > hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any comments or recomendations on
          > this subject will be appreciated. Thanx.

        • mbdingledy
          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2007
            I did it in 27 days last year. I took my time and had a great layover
            day at Evolution Valley. Also spent a day at Vermillion, taking the
            early ferry there and then leaving the next morning. I had 2 long
            days - 16 miles on the second day, which included a side trip up half
            dome, and 16 miles on the last day because I did not want to spend the
            night next to somoene else's poop at Trail Camp. I never lost my will
            to do the trail, even though I did have a moment where I felt sorry for
            myself when I woke up and the temperature was 23 in my tent just below
            Pinchot pass. I was soloing it in September, so there were fewer
            people on the trail at the time. The scenery along the trail is
            unbelievable, and it was different at every turn. Plus, you meet
            people along the way that are incredibly interesting. I brought a book
            for each leg, but I only finished one. I also brought an Ipod with a
            solar charger because I was concerned about how I would entertain
            myself. I only used it on the uphills I thought would never end.

            Use the time to unwind, to observe, to think about what is really
            important, and to bond with nature. If you really are miserable, you
            can always bail. I never expected to meet as many amazing people on
            the trail as I did. In the last half of my trip, I ended up camping at
            the same spot as a CCC crew. they had been out for 4 months without a
            shower, and they sure looked scary. Boy, did they have great stories.
            These were people I never would have chatted with in my regular life.
            Enjoy the experience and don't stress. Every day is a new adventure.

            Marybeth

            Message 5 of 10 , May 23, 2007
              Thank you everyone for the comments, recommendation and insights about
              living in the trail. I appreciate your suggestions and lessons learned
              from the trail and life. I posted 28 days because I blew my knees a
              year ago and need to take it easy this time in order to complete the
              entire hike. I will do several low mileage days (7-9.5 miles/day).
              Julio
            • Dan McGuire
              Message 6 of 10 , May 23, 2007
                Hey Julio - as far as your trail burnout goes, I wouldn't worry about it to
                much...there is so much amazing stuff out there, every day is a new
                adventure waiting to unfold....a few pieces of advice I have to pass on
                based on my own long distance hikes...

                - Don't get to married to your plan. Take each day as it comes...don't pass
                up the oppurtunity to hike late into the day if it feels right, nor to stop
                at that beautiful lake when it feels right. The mileage will average out and
                you'll make your resupply....don't plan each days stop ahead of time.

                - Allow yourself to be in the moment of hiking...it may take a week or more
                before you get there, but relish the experience of being out in the
                backcountry and leave all the electronic distractions at home. Get back to
                simple living for the month - forget the ipod, sandisk, etc...you may indeed
                have your mind start to roam. You may get bored with the hiking some days.
                You might sing 99 bottles of beer on the wall the whole way through. That's
                ok. It's part of the experience.

                -When you get bored, there will be plenty of things to fill your attention -
                other hikers on the trail, interesting scenery/animals/weather....not to
                sound to zen like, but the trail will provide. Keep yourself open to it.

                and most of all, don't listen to what the rest of us say...hike your own
                hike.

                Enjoy the trip! It's going to be a blast!

                Scooter
                PCT '02 JMT '05 CT '06

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , May 23, 2007
                  I found that when I was hiking last summer that the 4 days were tough,
                  but I had been sick when I started. As I got going it was more exciting
                  every day. We had to bail at Vermillion because on of the guys hurt
                  his back, but I was still ready to go and was ticked that I had to
                  quit. I fished along the way and caught 64 between Tuolumne and
                  Vermillion. I use a brass Pather Martin #4 size. I have a spreadsheet I
                  made for the hike for a 3 1/2 week trip. It includes 3 days of layover,
                  as I am one of those guys that observe the Sunday day of rest. It
                  averages about 12 miles a day. It is on my website at;
                  http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html There is a copy of it
                  displayed on the page, but you can download is so you can edit as you
                  would like. I have it dated for last year from the 19th of July to the
                  11th of August, and include all of the major elevation changes and GPS
                  coordinates for each of those locations. I have pictures on the site
                  too. I wished I would have spent a little more time taking pictures on
                  the stretch from Donohue Pass to Garnet Lake. My favoite picures are
                  from there.
                  I am starting at Reds Meadows on the 19th of July this year and am
                  planning on finishing on the 3rd of August at the portal.
                  I love this stuff.
                  Happy Hiking
                  Kevin A

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Julio" <Patronio@...> wrote:

                  > As I sit to review my schedule for my southbound JMT hike, I can see
                  > some days of 14.5+ miles. I must cover that or more and even that way
                  > it will still take me 28 days to complete it (I am taking a zero day
                  > to climb Half Dome and another day to chill out at Vermilion Valley
                  > Resort). Has anyone in this forum ever thought of losing the will to
                  > hike after so many days on the trail? How do you guys have managed
                  > tedium, boredom or monotony in the past? I am afraid I would go crazy
                  > after the first ten days. . .doing the same thing: breaking up camp,
                  > hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any comments or recomendations on
                  > this subject will be appreciated. Thanx.

                • Frank Martin
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 25, 2007
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "mbdingledy" <mbdingledy@...> wrote:

                    > I did it in 27 days last year. I took my time and had a great layover
                    > day at Evolution Valley. Also spent a day at Vermillion, taking the
                    > early ferry there and then leaving the next morning. I had 2 long
                    > days - 16 miles on the second day, which included a side trip up half
                    > dome, and 16 miles on the last day because I did not want to spend the
                    > night next to somoene else's poop at Trail Camp. I never lost my will
                    > to do the trail, even though I did have a moment where I felt sorry for
                    > myself when I woke up and the temperature was 23 in my tent just below
                    > Pinchot pass. I was soloing it in September, so there were fewer
                    > people on the trail at the time.

                    Hi Marybeth,
                    I was looking for you last year I was going NOBO. I didn't do the
                    'official trail' last year as I had done it in 2005. I did from
                    Horseshoe Meadow to TM.

                    I did pass a solo female on Muir pass but I don't think it was you.

                    Glad you had such a great trip.

                    frank
                  • onkelb0b
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 27, 2007
                      wrote:
                      >How do you guys have managed tedium, boredom or monotony in the past?
                      I am afraid I would go crazy after the first ten days. . .doing the
                      same thing: breaking up camp, hiking, cooking and more hiking. . . Any
                      comments or recommendations on this subject will be appreciated.<

                      If these are your concerns, then you have nothing to fear but fear itself.
                      Thunderstorms, food supplies, and squeaking parts were difficulties
                      #1-3 on 20 days N->S in 2004. Evolution Lake, Glen and Forester Pass,
                      then Guitar Lake in driving rain was a bummer, but since it was my
                      third trip, the loss was not great. Food always runs low because long
                      days mean great hunger; nevertheless begging on the trail often works.
                      The parts, they always squeak, whether its the toes not accustomed to
                      the weight and terrain to the hips chafing under the belt, on through
                      to shoulders. Heck I often suffer from Sierra neck, soreness due to
                      looking up at the mountains surrounding me.
                      Still when one has idle time, a journal is my occupation of choice. I
                      like to return - revisit places - and so can use a written record of
                      the time and features. I keep a record of sites and time needed to
                      reach them and so decide where I will stay. For example, Bear
                      Creek/Rosemarie Mdws to Goddard Cr looks to be too far, but when one
                      understands the clear superiority of the sites 1/2 hour further on the
                      trail, there's motivation to continue hiking. (Conversely, I stay on
                      the north side of Evolution Lake, a short day, because of the camping
                      there, and knowledge I can reach Palisade Cr the next day.) A journal
                      tailored to your pace is invaluable for future hikes.
                      Learn to cook beyond the freeze-dried reheat. Warm desserts at night
                      allow you to pack in calories with more efficient use of heat. Of
                      course be careful when/where you cook at night - OK in Upper Basin,
                      not advised in Vidette Mdw.
                      Expand other personal repertoire. Astronomy and Botany are naturals
                      for the territory. I don't stay up at night but I do stop to *smell*
                      the flowers. The rangers frown on bear-baiting, however you'll see
                      others too - osprey, eagles, bluebirds and tanagers in the air, pikas,
                      marmots, and foxes on the ground.
                    • Patronio@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 28, 2007
                        Thank you so much for those who replied to my inquiry about boredom in the
                        trail. Thank to those who responded privately too.
                        Julio