Useful Items for packaging and storing your food items before you ship them in bulk to your JMT Supply Spots

    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2011

    I package my food items into 4 separate larger containers a day:

    1.  The breakfast bag - using a cheap pint or quart size thin plastic bag that holds all the items for breakfast, some of which are inside very tiny ziploc-style bags.

    2.  The mini-meals between breakfast and supper bag - using a quart size thin plastic bag that holds all the items for use on the trail, some of which are inside very tiny ziploc-style bags.

    3.  The supper items except for the large aluminum pouch of either Tuna/Salmon/Chicken -- using a quart size thin plastic bag that holds all the items for supper (except for the flesh item), some of which are inside very tiny ziploc-style bags.

    4.  The large aluminum pouch of either Tuna/Salmon/Chicken which are kept inside their own original pouch.

    I have found that US Plastics is ideal and affordable for these tiny ziploc-style bags.

    I am still working with another plastics company to find the ideal water boiling bag and should have an update to this in 2 weeks but hopefully 1 week.

    See the attached PDF illustrating these small tiny plastic ziploc-style bags.

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 2 of 9 , May 11, 2011
      Hi Roleigh,
      How much do all of your bags for one day weigh together, do you know? Thanks.

      Barbara
      Typos by iPad

        Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2011
          Roleigh,

          That's a of work and attention to detail as far as packing goes. I'm a slob.

          I go shopping at wherever––trader joe, Costco (the jerky) asian markets on my street.

          I bring it all home, I get rid of all the packaging (such as the boxes that the Indian TJ's meals come in)

          I split it all up and toss it into two boxes––one for Tuolomne Meadows P.O.  and the other for Vermillion.

          I don't put anything in zip locks except maybe coffee/tea bags.

          I tape up the box and ship it off, never a problem, not a dent, not a mouse . . .

          When I pick up the drop, I open the box and dump the contents into the canister and if need be, I jiggle things around a bit, do some layering and smooshing.

          I use about four zip-locks total: two for the "bathroom system"  . . . one for medical supplies and . . . no idea what I do with the fourth one. oh yeah, trash.

          In the morning  I decide what I might want to eat that day . . . I pull out the bars and put those in my pockets. I move whatever else––the jerky and the nuts, to the top of the canister for easy access during the day.

          BOB

          Message 5 of 9 , May 11, 2011
            Bob,

            The tiny zip lock bags are needed by me for the following things, because I can not use the original packaging at all (it's way, way, way too large):

            1.  vitamin pills for the day

            2.  powdered/instant coffee for that meal

            3.  powdered whey protein for that snack and/or breakfast (www.energyfirst.com whey protein)

            4.  zipfizz (www.zipfizz.com) energy drink -- I do not want to carry the hard plastic cylinder tube.

            5.  powdered greens (either www.energyfirst.com or http://www.amazinggrass.com/) -- measured for that snack shake

            6.  vegetable chips (original container is good for about 6 servings)

            7.  Goulash portion (powdered ingredients) -- original package was a meal for three

            8.  dried fruits and nuts -- original package was for about 20 servings.

            I find a save a lot of space and weight by having tiny zip loc bags that I get from US Plastics.  1 gm apiece versus 2-3 grams for snack ziploc bags at grocery store.
          • ned@mountaineducation.org
            Message 6 of 9 , May 11, 2011
              Hey, Bob!

              You're not alone with that system of yours. I do the same thing! It's simple, doesn't take much thought or preparation, and fits one way or another into the canister....

              "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

              Ned Tibbits, Director
              Mountain Education
              1106A Ski Run Blvd
              South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
                  P: 888-996-8333
                  F: 530-541-1456
                  C: 530-721-1551
                  http://www.mountaineducation.org
              Message 7 of 9 , May 11, 2011
                Bob, do you buy everything prepackaged small, or do you dish out a meal's portion from a larger bag each meal/snack?  If so, you have great will power to do it that way.  Plus a good memory as each item you'd need to know (how much to dish out for this snack, meal?)  My memory is only photogenic, it is not photographic.  Yours must be photographic.

                Message 8 of 9 , May 11, 2011
                  Roleigh,

                  it's all packaged. I used to switch out the jerky to more pliable/compact zip-locks, but I find that the empty jerky bags make for very durable garbage bags––much more so than a zip-lock . . . I bring along bags of gorp, mangoes and so on but I seem to do a good job of hand-portioning and never run out. I'm also one of those that kind of loses his appetite . . . I can't eat your standard breakfast . . . just a power bar of some sort and the rest of the day, snacks until I hit dinner, which I am religious about ( and finally HUNGRY!!!)

                  bob

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: roleigh@...
                  Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:15:03 -0400
                  Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Useful Items for packaging and storing your food items before you ship them in bulk to your JMT Supply Spots

                  Bob, do you buy everything prepackaged small, or do you dish out a meal's portion from a larger bag each meal/snack?  If so, you have great will power to do it that way.  Plus a good memory as each item you'd need to know (how much to dish out for this snack, meal?)  My memory is only photogenic, it is not photographic.  Yours must be photographic.

                  On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

                  I don't put anything in zip locks except maybe coffee/tea bags.

                • hmdsierra
                  Message 9 of 9 , May 11, 2011
                    For years I used to take big bags of the different foods. The problems were, how much, how many times, how much water. In addition each meas was a question, what main course, what to go with it. When we did JMT in '82 we left most of our food at Red's Mdw. so the question was what to do, one bag of oatmeal for the first days and another for the rest.. I decided to prepackage each meal. A larger ziplock hedl the main course, inside that bag I put sandwich bags with the veggies, bread, pudding or Jell-O. A paper note visible from the outside showed the contents and how much water. Gert to camp and pull out one bag for the entire meal. It was so easy that I've done it that way since.