Re: [John Muir Trail] accommodations

  • brink_nathan
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2011
      Dredging up an old post here...

      Is it recommended/possible to make a reservation at the hostel in early September? Was originally planning just to meet my ride coming off the trail, but thinking about it'd be way more convenient not to have to worry about synchronizing a meetup coming off Whitney with my father who's coming from Paso Robles to pick me up.

      Thanks,
      Nathan Brink

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carole Warner <carewarner@...> wrote:

      > Whitney Portal Hostel.  Their web site is:  http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/
      > Good luck to you!
      > Carole

    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2011
        I would advise it and as far as I know you can book a room for Sept.  Call and ask 760-876-0030 24/7.  I tried to get a room/space in a bunk room in early Sept 2009 and it was full.  The other option is the Dow Villa  next door.  More expensive but has character and a spa for recovery purposes and I would recommend booking in advance there also.

        Don

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: brink_nathan@...
        Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:27:43 +0000
        Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] accommodations

      • ned@mountaineducation.org
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2011
          Just a quick note:

          The Winnedumah Motel in Independence is closed due to winter water damage--the roof collapsed. The recent owner, Frank Montoya, is putting the place up for sale. It is sad news for thru hikers as he was a great supporter, even willing to meet hikers at the Onion Valley trailhead, have hot dinners waiting for them in town, take them to Bishop's supermarkets, provide internet access, mailing facilities, and full laundry in house, and more.

          I realized this while driving by, both down from and back up to Tahoe, to go to the KO and the place was dark and seemingly unoccupied. Folks at the local gas station filled me in on the details...

          Ray's Den is still open, though.

          "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          1106A Ski Run Blvd
          South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
              P: 888-996-8333
              F: 530-541-1456

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: brink_nathan@...
          Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 21:27:43 +0000

          Dredging up an old post here...

          Is it recommended/possible to make a reservation at the hostel in early September? Was originally planning just to meet my ride coming off the trail, but thinking about it'd be way more convenient not to have to worry about synchronizing a meetup coming off Whitney with my father who's coming from Paso Robles to pick me up.

          Thanks,
          Nathan Brink

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Carole Warner <carewarner@...> wrote:

          > Whitney Portal Hostel.  Their web site is:  http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/
          > Good luck to you!
          > Carole

              Apparently the LAST bed for the night. Glad I didn't wait too much longer on that.