Gas Canister Disposal

  • mountain_minerals
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2011
      Hi,
      After many years with an alcohol stove, I am contemplating making the
      switch to a gas stove for the JMT. By the time I finish walking I'll
      have at least one empty canister and possibly a partially empty one
      also.
      As an international traveller I can neither fly with nor post the
      empty/part full canisters so how do I got about disposing of my
      'empties'?
      Cheers,
      Martin

      (P.S. Thanks to those who answered my question on Sunrise High Sierra. A
      particular thank you to whoever it was sent me a direct Email offering
      to help me with any Bay Area questions I may have (you were correct that
      I'll be flying in from the UK) - I'm sorry I didn't reply. I wasn't
      being ignorant; rather I intended to reply from the group archive and so
      had already deleted the message before I realised it was sent directly
      to me).
    • Stuart Dodson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2011
        I was also an international traveller, you will find there are hiker boxes/ bins in resorts ,hostels with all sorts of gear flung as too heavy or not needed, so you can put your canisters in those bins. Often some useful stuff in the bins including food. At mid hike places I sometimes weighed the canisters in my hand and if there felt more than in mine I would switch them or take one as a spare.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2011
          I think the airport in Christchurch NZ had a drop box also. I stayed at a Hostel and left my fuel there for someone else to use. They had a collection of different types of fuel. This might be more common in places like New Zealand.