RE: [John Muir Trail] JMT Video Series

  • jmaddog1082@charter.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2011
      P.S.   Is it me or does this Trevor guy remind you of a young Bob Shattuck  ???

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucwhH65ryGw

      On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM, jmaddog1082@... wrote:

          I stumbled upon this fresh, 3-part Youtube upload from a young lad's first JMT trip from early last summer.

      Here are the links:

      Part 1:   http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/7/lr6eOOSVTw4

      Part 2:   http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/6/kEQdDxm52l4

      Part 3:   http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/5/0R1jg1besqw

      Enjoy (i did)!

      John
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2011
        WOW!

        Dramatic . . . and I only watched the first five minutes of it ( gotta go talk about backpacking!) but these guys, or guy, have got the filming end of it down, pretty slick.

        Of course from the looks of it they got off the bus in the wrong place and had to walk around the valley for a while just to find the visitors office. STAY ON THE BUS UNTIL YOU GET TO THE VISITORS OFFICE!!!!

        and I'm sorry, but 46 (ain't nothin') pounds and still having to CARRY a canister . . . . well, I can't wait to get home and watch the rest of it . . . still, I kinda like that other guy's grainy, plodding, commentary.

        Bob (the older)

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        CC: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2011
          WOW! I recommend watching all three of these, if for nothing else then, the swearing!! For all of you wondering what the snow will be like and the crossings, the kid has captured it all. Great fun . . . and I better upgrade my camera.

          I'm amazed though that he went up whitney in those conditions . . . that'd be a day that I'd just decide to stay down at Crab tree and let it all pass.

          BOB

          P.S.   Is it me or does this Trevor guy remind you of a young Bob Shattuck  ???

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucwhH65ryGw

          On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM, jmaddog1082@... wrote:

              I stumbled upon this fresh, 3-part Youtube upload from a young lad's first JMT trip from early last summer.

          Here are the links:

          Part 1:   http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/7/lr6eOOSVTw4

          Part 2:   http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/6/kEQdDxm52l4

          Part 3:   http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/5/0R1jg1besqw

          Enjoy (i did)!

          John

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 11 , May 1, 2011

            AWESOME.  Wow – thanks so much.  Do you know when he hiked it – what month?  Certainly lots of snow, and he mentioned crossing paths with PCTers.   The snow!  The stream crossings!  The black clouds!  And Bob’s shoes!

            Barbara

            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2011
              What happened to his hiking partner? Trevor said "It wasn't what he expected and he left on day 2". He should have made his buddy do the walk of shame on camera :)

              > WOW! I recommend watching all three of these, if for nothing else then, the swearing!! For all of you wondering what the snow will be like and the crossings, the kid has captured it all. Great fun . . . and I better upgrade my camera.
              > I'm amazed though that he went up whitney in those conditions . . . that'd be a day that I'd just decide to stay down at Crab tree and let it all pass.
              >
              > BOB

              > P.S. Is it me or does this Trevor guy remind you of a young Bob Shattuck ???
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucwhH65ryGw
              >
              > On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM, jmaddog1082@... wrote:
              > I stumbled upon this fresh, 3-part Youtube upload from a young lad's first JMT trip from early last summer.
              > Here are the links:
              > Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/7/lr6eOOSVTw4
              > Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/6/kEQdDxm52l4
              > Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/user/tarwood88#p/u/5/0R1jg1besqw
              >
              > Enjoy (i did)!
              > John

            • whegardt
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2011
                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Rohlfs" <samrohlfs@...> wrote:

                > What happened to his hiking partner? Trevor said "It wasn't what he expected and he left on day 2". He should have made his buddy do the walk of shame on camera :)

                I agree. Did they camp the first night at LYV? If so, that's luxury backpacking with composting toilets, bear boxes, and excellent cell reception.

                Why when I was a lad we used to camp in a small shoebox in the middle of the trail.

                [ Apologies for off-topic attempts at humor ]

                - Bill
              • robert shattuck
                Message 7 of 11 , May 2, 2011
                  For those of you that might be interested ( and vet your partners well) here's what I got from "tarwood"

                  Thanks for all the kind words. Mike (my friend that bailed) is the type of person that assumes everything will be handed to him on a silver platter and if it's not, he'll quit at the first sign of difficulty. He had never been backpacking before but he still seemed interested in the trip and agreed to go along. I told him I would take care of planning the trip and his gear list, all he had to do was get in shape. Unfortunately, he thought occasionally playing beach volleyball and carrying his school backpack in between classes was enough preparation to handle a long distance trail in the High Sierras. Within 20 minutes of hiking I could already tell he was struggling and of course that's when he began formulating erroneous excuses. It started with "I just haven't had enough to eat today" and quickly transitioned to "My mom was right, this was a stupid idea. I can't do this." After the first hour (and several breaks later) it was clear he had grossly underestimated what he was about to attempt. We were only 2 miles in and had already discussed splitting up. I made it abundantly clear that I had put my heart and soul into planning and training for the hike and I wasn't going to let him hold me back from finishing it. By the time we got on top of Nevada Falls (3 miles in) Mike had nothing left. He began throwing up because this was probably his first real workout ever. At this point, I'm already carrying most of his gear for him and have grown incredibly frustrated at the situation. Finally I had had enough, I picked up his pack, wore it on my front (so I was carrying ALL of our stuff which totaled about 70 pounds) and told him we only have a mile to go until we can camp and to suck it up because the way he was acting was pathetic. Needless to say, that last mile was killer for me but ironically I was still going at a faster pace than him. Once we got to our campsite it was dark and he almost instantly passed out. The next day we parted (as you saw) and . . .

                  I think a lot of folks underestimate that first day. I think Tarwood's buddy did. He should have just relaxed up there at LYV and then stuck it out until he could make a better assessment  once he got to TM. If he was truly whipped, then TM is a fine and easy place to bail . . . but I think (or hope,since he was so young) that another day or two and he might have found his energy.

                  Oh well, it made for a lot more drama

                  BOB

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: bill@...
                  Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 19:00:40 +0000
                  Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: JMT Video Series

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Rohlfs" <samrohlfs@...> wrote:

                  > What happened to his hiking partner? Trevor said "It wasn't what he expected and he left on day 2". He should have made his buddy do the walk of shame on camera :)

                  I agree. Did they camp the first night at LYV? If so, that's luxury backpacking with composting toilets, bear boxes, and excellent cell reception.

                  Why when I was a lad we used to camp in a small shoebox in the middle of the trail.

                  [ Apologies for off-topic attempts at humor ]

                  - Bill

                • outdoorman2200
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2011
                    This happens all of the time , Friends wanting to go...If they already dont go with me or they dont hike all of the time.. They arent allowed to go . I have had vacations ruined because of this . my heart goes out to the guy that walked the trail by himself. Im sure maybe he was actually glad he did .. This happened to us on our 3 person JMT hike. one of the guys bailed at Edison.. That wouldnt have been so bad , but he wanted to keep a lot of food which left us more hungry , so we fought over it... never spoke to him again.. he was a pain in the butt anyway.
                  • amarony
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 2, 2011
                      I groaned out loud when I saw that pack weight of 47 lbs or whatever it was. That probably contributed more than anything to his friend bailing on him. For anyone to carry two bear cannisters for a day or two, I tip my hat to them. This kid made some mistakes but kudos to him for hiking it nonetheless. Great videos and worth watching the spread of emotions during a long hike.
                    • Kim Fishburn
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4, 2011
                        Watching this guys videos about the JMT I was thinking about tents. Twice he had problems with water getting into the tent. One thing I like about my Tarptent Squall 2 is that I can extend my hiking pole to take slack out of the tent. I got mine when you could still order them without a floor. I got caught in a pretty hard down poor once last summer and had water running under the tent. It was hard enough that the water couldn't soak into the ground fast enough. All I had to do was hold the sides of my tyvek ground sheet up for 10 minutes till the rain tapered off. I've only once regretted getting the tent without a floor, and that was after I'd set it up in a grassy are where there were a couple hundred small bugs in the grass I'd set the tent up over. They weren't a problem, just annoying. I haven't had my Virga out in rain that hard yet, and now I've got a Rainbow to try. Still have the Squall 2. I just wanted something with a little more head room.