JMT Run Posts

  • mlaveson
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 29 9:21 PM
      I'm looking for some posts on running the JMT unsupported. I'm currently planning a 5 day trip.
    • Don Amundson
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 29 9:54 PM
        I don't think you'll find much on this group.  The info found at these sites might help.

        http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/john-muir-trail-record/

        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/john_muir_trail_unsupported_record_attempt_results.html

        Good luck on your journey.

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: mlaveson@...
        Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 04:21:18 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] JMT Run Posts

        I'm looking for some posts on running the JMT unsupported. I'm currently planning a 5 day trip.

      • gordonjacobsen
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30 12:08 AM
          Best wishes with your run...

          I stumbled across a thread last year that I was able to dig up that had some good detail in the planning of some successful and unsucessfull attempts in 2009 - fascinating read.

          http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22736

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

          > I don't think you'll find much on this group. The info found at these sites might help.
          >
          > http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/john-muir-trail-record/
          >
          > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/john_muir_trail_unsupported_record_attempt_results.html
          >
          > Good luck on your journey.
          >

          > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          > From: mlaveson@...
          > Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 04:21:18 +0000
          > Subject: [John Muir Trail] JMT Run Posts

          > I'm looking for some posts on running the JMT unsupported. I'm currently planning a 5 day trip.

        • Marc Laveson
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 30 7:32 AM
            I really appreciate it! I just discovered this thread after someone sent me a link when I posted on the Whitney portal board. There's a ton of great info here!

            I stumbled across a thread last year that I was able to dig up that had some good detail in the planning of some successful and unsucessfull attempts in 2009 - fascinating read.

            http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22736

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

            > I don't think you'll find much on this group. The info found at these sites might help.
            >
            > http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/john-muir-trail-record/
            >
            > http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/john_muir_trail_unsupported_record_attempt_results.html
            >
            > Good luck on your journey.
            >

            > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            > From: mlaveson@...
            > Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 04:21:18 +0000
            > Subject: [John Muir Trail] JMT Run Posts

            > I'm looking for some posts on running the JMT unsupported. I'm currently planning a 5 day trip.

          • Srirama Dronamraju
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 30 7:36 AM
              Check this site for lots of details on people who completed in 5+ days.
              http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

              On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:21 PM, mlaveson <mlaveson@...> wrote:

              I'm looking for some posts on running the JMT unsupported. I'm currently planning a 5 day trip.

            • Peter Burke
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 30 8:22 AM
                On 4/30/2011 9:32 AM, Marc Laveson wrote:
                I really appreciate it! I just discovered this thread after someone sent me a link when I posted on the Whitney portal board. There's a ton of great info here!

                here's my favorite JMT run report - from the Portal forum, not sure if you got that link there

                http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=68800&Searchpage=1&Main=8948&Words=electrolyte&topic=0&Search=true#Post68751

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 30 8:53 AM
                  See this interesting thread from 2003

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 30 5:31 PM
                    I presume you did a search at BPL too -- lots of past threads over there.

                    http://search.backpackinglight.com/?zoom_query=jmt+speed+run&x=0&y=0

                    Have you already gotten your permit?  You're going to do it NOBO, right?  Most runners do it that way.  I met the most famous JMT trail runner last year on the trail, Reinhold Metzger.  He was telling me nearly all the fast trail runners do the trail run NOBO.

                    If you have problems getting the permit starting from Whitney Portal, you can start from Horseshoe Meadows.

                    You do know that there are different unsupported records -- those starting from the Summit of Whitney versus those starting from Whitney Portal.  Which one do you plan doing?

                    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030929-9999_mz1s29outdor.html

                    He was working (at age 70 mind you) on doing a 14 days YoYo hike of the JMT.  Reinhold held the record for 3-5 years (I forgot the duration) starting at age 61 and being beaten eventually by a  29 year old.

                    On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 12:21 AM, mlaveson <mlaveson@...> wrote:

                    I'm looking for some posts on running the JMT unsupported. I'm currently planning a 5 day trip.

                  • outdoorman2200
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2, 2011
                      There are a number of takeaways reading the fellows post at

                      http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=554961&confirm_post=7

                      I have talked to cyclists who suffered from severe dehydration and had to be transported to the hospital.. The hammer products will work well
                      , they are heavy and they have to be drank with plenty of water... One will have to meter their water intake ...we must do the same thing while hiking , not too much , but enough . Hats off to those who did this they are some crazy people man!!!!! wild ...
                    • Peter Burke
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 2, 2011
                        On 5/2/2011 10:21 AM, outdoorman2200 wrote:
                        > There are a number of takeaways reading the fellows post at
                        >
                        > http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=554961&confirm_post=7
                        >

                        > I have talked to cyclists who suffered from severe dehydration and had to be transported to the hospital.. The hammer products will work well

                        the thread on BPL started by Brent Maune who holds the record probably
                        is a good source to learn about nutrition for such a trip. He ate this
                        for his sub 4-day run. He also used Hammer gel:

                        FOOD
                        ~8k calories of Hammer raspberry gel, with 2 5.5 serving squeeze bottles
                        ~10k calories of cliff bars (21 chocolate brownie, 21 chocolate chip cookie)
                        ~1.5k calories of Recoverite (in a nearly full powerade bottle)
                        ~400 calories of sausage leftover from first attempt (for efficient
                        tasty salt ingestion)
                        Pills/supplements: ~22 ibuprofen, full bottle (120 capsules) of
                        endurolytes, ~8 S!caps, 8 caffeine pills (used 2), ~6 vitamins, 2
                        emergen-C packets (didn’t use)

                        and he posts about the food he had for a prior attempt that failed,
                        mostly because of what he had to eat.

                        Not sure if I could live on 42 Clif bars, but I assume that in the
                        bigger picture the tastiness of the food was of less concern than the
                        amount of energy contained in it. Over a 4 day run, I suppose you can
                        handle it.

                        Maune's gear list and food is on page 9 of this thread

                        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22736&startat=160

                        looking at his time sheet, it becomes obvious that this is a record that
                        will be hard to beat: On his first day, he went from Whitney Portal to
                        beyond Pinchot Pass to take a 4.5 hour nap there, then all the way past
                        Duck Pass Jct, almost to Reds for his second nap (3 hours), then to the
                        finish at Happy Isles, skipping sleep in the third night altogether. All
                        that with food from start to finish in his pack (27 pounds Day 1).

                        Just some highlights: Forester Pass to Glen Pass in 3.5 hours, Mather
                        Pass to Muir Pass in under 7 hours... damn.
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 2, 2011
                          My goodness: " On his first day, he went from Whitney Portal to
                          beyond Pinchot Pass to take a 4.5 hour nap there, "

                          That means, he did Trailcrest Pass, Whitney Summit, Forester Pass, Glenn Pass, then Pinchot Pass all in one day.  I could not even begin to imagine making Forester Pass let alone the other two passes.

                          I know some of the records start from the Summit, but he started from the Portal?  Absolutely astonishing.
                        • outdoorman2200
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 2, 2011
                            I never would have ever believed that the human body could do something like that. I did read that the Natives of North America had runners that would do things like that . I would be afraid to eat ANY food , it would be perpetuem all the way , you just need a shaker bottle to shake it up . It has lots of caffeine and will jack you up but good , Ive gone 12 hours on it , hiking up the worst trail I could imagine and made it relatively unscathed. Eating anything like clif bars might make you sick
                            Just get a sample of it and try it while your chopping wood or pouring cement, you will find that you turn into a machine.....
                          • Jim McCrain
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2, 2011
                              Good luck running it! I can't even imagine what kind of shape you must be in. It is sometimes hard enough just to HIKE the JMT!

                              Cheers!

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 4, 2011
                                Been looking for a way to make more substantial breakfasts on the trail, and a lot of the things I've tried were very disappointing.

                                Last week when walking through the isles at the supermarket to figure out where they moved the Nido milk, I found something at the supermarket that has promise:

                                Instant Hash Browns

                                http://www.hungryjackpotatoes.com/products/hashbrown-potatoes.html

                                soak in warm water for 5 minutes in the carton, then fry for 5 or so minutes.

                                I'll do a test on my stove to see if this is viable in the backcountry (stick to pan issues, etc). It's dirt cheap compared to any of the big name freeze dried food sources, but the carton isn't very space efficient in a bear can. Probably can be repackaged if you figure out the amount of water that needs to be added. There's a lot of air in these boxes (size of a pint of cream)

                                Still, to have something affordable to alternate your breakfasts this may not be a bad deal. Pretty high calorie per ounce, even without the 2 tablespoons of oil to add. I think the box sells for about a dollar.

                                Will report back once I make this. I'll first try the frying part with the Jetboil Helios, which uses an aluminum pot that spreads the heat much better than titanium.
                              • brink_nathan
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 4, 2011
                                  I've used something just like this from Costco, different brand, but same concept.

                                  They are quite tasty, but personally, I think they'd be a bit of a hassle out on the trail (although they are fine just reconstituted but not fried, of course you'd miss that nice crispyness)

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Peter Burke <pburke@...> wrote:

                                  > Been looking for a way to make more substantial breakfasts on the
                                  > trail, and a lot of the things I've tried were very disappointing.
                                  >

                                  > Last week when walking through the isles at the supermarket to figure
                                  > out where they moved the Nido milk, I found something at the supermarket
                                  > that has promise:
                                  >
                                  > Instant Hash Browns
                                  >
                                  > http://www.hungryjackpotatoes.com/products/hashbrown-potatoes.html
                                  >
                                  > soak in warm water for 5 minutes in the carton, then fry for 5 or so
                                  > minutes.
                                  >
                                  > I'll do a test on my stove to see if this is viable in the backcountry
                                  > (stick to pan issues, etc). It's dirt cheap compared to any of the big
                                  > name freeze dried food sources, but the carton isn't very space
                                  > efficient in a bear can. Probably can be repackaged if you figure out
                                  > the amount of water that needs to be added. There's a lot of air in
                                  > these boxes (size of a pint of cream)
                                  >
                                  > Still, to have something affordable to alternate your breakfasts this
                                  > may not be a bad deal. Pretty high calorie per ounce, even without the 2
                                  > tablespoons of oil to add. I think the box sells for about a dollar.
                                  >
                                  > Will report back once I make this. I'll first try the frying part with
                                  > the Jetboil Helios, which uses an aluminum pot that spreads the heat
                                  > much better than titanium.

                                • hmdsierra
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 4, 2011
                                    We used those on JMT in '82 and ever since. I usually let them soak overnight. If you use too much water just drain off the excess. I take bacon grease for my frying and use a small Teflon frying pan. If you take a small can of corned beef you can make hash for breakfast, or dinner.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 4, 2011
                                      I  agree with hmdsierra

                                      Take along some coked bacon in a jar packed in its own fat.  Cook up the potatoes with the bacon and fat in the bottom of your JetBoil or other pot.

                                      When you get to a resupply point (if it has a store), buy more bacon, cut into pieces, and cook it up in the JetBoil and re-fill your bacon and baconfat jar.  (Cooking it gets rid of the considerable moisture in most commercial bacons and therefore reduces weight and makes it more trail-stable.)

                                      I've had bacon jarred in its fat on trail for up to a week with no evident deterioration.  No guarantees, however, and presumably this is not USDA-approved advice.  Use it at your own risk and research it further if you are nervous.

                                      The bacon fat adds calories to the bacon and helps keep air away from the bacon.  It's like a confit - one of the ways the French used to preserve meats.

                                      I often bring eggs for my first or second trail breakfast and cook them with the bacon and bacon fat.

                                      My main favorite standard breakfast, though, is this: (Stop reading if you are a long-time member as you have heard this before).

                                      Before leaving home I mix cornmeal, Splenda, a little brown or maple sugar for flavor, and salt.  If I want to "goose" the calories and protein, I can add dry whole milk powder (like the Nido), almond meal, flaxseed meal, hazelnut meal, or a protein supplement.  If I want to improve the flavor, and I usually do, I add lots of dried blueberries or dried mango or sliced almonds.  (I leave these out only if weight or bearcan restraints force me into concentrating only on very efficient food)

                                      In the field, make it with water and add as much fat as your system tolerates well.  Some versions (less sugar, no dry whole milk) work with the bacon and bacon fat, but I prefer Ghee (clarified butter) and/or coconut oil.  Coconut oil is totally stable on-trail.  Ghee is very stable on trail (I've used it up to 9 days without a hint of deterioration).  Butter is also one of those things that is easy to obtain in resupply stores, though clarifying it in a JetBoil takes some care.  Usually I take both Ghee and coconut oil and make it with about 1 oz. (2 TB) of each per day.  If the Ghee was to go bad, I could finish the trip with the coconut oil.  2 oz. of Ghee and/or coconut oil is about 450 calories even before counting the calories in the rest of the breakfast.

                                      You could use oatmeal, but it is less compact for bearcan fit purposes.  Polenta, blue cornmeal, Malt-o-Meal, Cream of Wheat, Cream of Rice or any ground grain that cooks in 5 minutes will work -- choose whichever one you like best or alternate them -- and you don't need to simmer it if you have a cozy - just bring to a simmer and put in your cozy for 5-10 minutes. "Instant" hot cereals don't even require the cozy (just heat and eat), but the "quick" cereals (5 min cook time) usually require either a stove that simmers or a cozy.

                                      Experiment before you leave with the mix to water ratio that works best with your particular mixture,  It tastes way better if if is just the right consistency.  Too watery and all the fat rises to the top - too thick and you have to force it down.