[John Muir Trail] Re: Berners packers

  • Jim McCrain
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
      ALL of my information is verifiable. Ask any backcountry Ranger from the 2009 season.

      While on the trail, the Ranger at Crabtree Meadow told me that the Berners had NOT filed for their operating permit for 2009, and if they DID deliver my package, they would be breaking the law. Four days later, the Ranger at Charlotte Lake informed me that the Berners WOULD be allowed to deliver my food even though they STILL did not have the proper permits. To their credit, they did eventually get the correct permits, but not until after my trip. I was also told that they had already made a food drop at the top of Kearsarge pass, but had not notified anyone. Those 2 trips were runied as well.

      For proof, ask any of the backcountry Rangers (from 2009), the INFS office, or any of the 4 members of my group. I also have both video and audio recordings of 2 of the conversations with the Rangers.

      Now, if this information is false, then the entire Inyo National Forest System was playing a very elaborate prank on me. And if that is the case, I will publicly apologize for being duped.

      The sad part in all of this is that I STILL think that Danica is a very nice person. I really enjoyed my telephone conversations with her.

      I am NOT advising anyone to boycott the Berners services. Just VERIFY that they have the appropriate permits. After all of your JMT planning, you do not want your trip[ ruined because someone didn't do their annual paperwork.

      Jim McCrain