I came "this" close.....

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2007
      This last weekend I got-together with some friends in Yosemite. We
      stayed at the KOA campground at Midpine. We were all on motorcycles
      (not Harley Davidsons). On Saturday we rode into Yosemite and wandered
      a bit. Sadly it was raining and we were told there was snow along our
      intended path, not good for motorcycles.
      I was so hoping to find Happy Isles and have one of our group take a
      photo of me with one step on the JMT to show my son.
      I'm hoping to hike the JMT the summer of 2009 with my oldest. He'll
      have just graduated High School and I'll turn 50, landmark events in
      life to celebrate with an adventure.
      All the reading I've done helped on the weekend excursion. Where the
      others that were tenting it (like me) were either cold or
      uncomfortable, I was just fine. I definately need better equiptment and
      I need to work on myself, but the knowledge I've aquired made all the
      difference in my comfort.
      I've gained weight since I got my mummybag many years ago and I just
      didn't comfortable fit in it(I've never really liked the confines of a
      mummybag anyway). I recalled reading Ray Jardine's website and he
      talked about using a quilt. I unsipped 3/4 of my mummybag and turned it
      zipper-down and fasioned it like Jardine's quilt and I was warm as
      could be.
      When we got back to the campsite Saturday afternoon I found a defect in
      my tent and it was doing a nice job of collecting rainwater. I chipped-
      in with the two that were cold and uncomfortable and we upgraded from a
      tent site to a cabin for the next night.
      Adapt, improvise, overcome.
      This is fun, I can't wait to use more of what I'm learning.
      Anyhow, if not for the weather I would have had my 1st step on the JMT
      (question... how many times can you sing "100 bottles of beer on the
      wall" in 211 miles?)