Re: [John Muir Trail] Late season resupply advice?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
      I love that time of the year on the JMT.  Did a stretch of it in mid-Sept 2008 (easy to recall the date because I remember other hikers telling me about the Lehman bankruptcy).

      I found that bearboxes had abandoned food in them at multiple locations in SEKI.  Hard to rely on that, though.  Bubbs Creek (shorter, steeper) and/or Woods Creek (longer, more gradual, prettier) trails down to Roads End in SEKI are lovely and there is a store there.  It was open in mid-Sept in 2008.  I have heard that rangers in SEKI will hold food resupplies mailed to them but can NOT confirm that.

      On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM, miltoncross4 <tony@...> wrote:

      Hi everyone,

      I'm going to be doing a late-season hike of the JMT this year starting on September 20th. My biggest logistical concern is resupply stops. I've been contacting the different resupply spots to see how late in the season they're open. At this point I've heard back from Muir Trail Ranch that they close on September 18th, so I'm out of luck on that one.

      I have searched through the messages and seen some notes on packer resuppy options around Onion Valley, but nonetheless wanted to ask if any of you have any advice on how/where to resupply at this late time of year. I'm hoping (but have yet to confirm) that Red's and Vermillion Valley will still be open, but even if they are, having Vermillion Valley as my last resupply would be awfully tough. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

      Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has experience hiking the trail at this time of year, and any specific thoughts you may have on things to look out for.

      Thanks very much!

    • Peter Burke
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2011
        On 4/29/2011 11:32 AM, miltoncross4 wrote:

        > Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has experience hiking the trail at this time of year, and any specific thoughts you may have on things to look out for.

        forgot to comment on late season trail impressions:

        - days are getting short - to get good mileage done, you need to rise
        early, hike into the dark. With resupplies stretched already, getting
        the miles in between sunrise and sunset can get tight. If you know the
        place and know where you can find camp sites, it's not a big deal to
        hike into the dark, but if you're new to the JMT, you will probably stop
        before dark when you find something suitable. That will impact miles per
        day or set the time you need to get going in the morning (which you can
        do in the dark, but who wants to?)

        - the bugs are gone

        - flowers are long gone

        - water is harder to find on some stretches

        - pretty much all plants are done for the season. If one word describes
        September, it has to be "brown"

        - nights are cool (20-30 F in mid to late Sept)

        - weather can get ugly for a day or two, but in September it rarely
        stays that way.

        - heading northbound starting on Sept 12, 2009, the trail was much more
        crowded than I expected.

        it is mostly that last bullet why I am going in October. After Reds and
        MTR are closed, very few will still do the JMT. I want to see what it's
        like when winter is just around the corner and most hikers are already
        in hibernation.
      • miltoncross4
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5 7:57 PM
          Thanks for your replies, Peter and John.

          Thus far I've been able to determine that Red's will most likely be open through about October 15th, and the timing for VVR should be about the same. Looks like having VVR as the last resupply point is going to have to work!

          > I love that time of the year on the JMT. Did a stretch of it in mid-Sept
          > 2008 (easy to recall the date because I remember other hikers telling me
          > about the Lehman bankruptcy).
          >
          > I found that bearboxes had abandoned food in them at multiple locations in
          > SEKI. Hard to rely on that, though. Bubbs Creek (shorter, steeper) and/or
          > Woods Creek (longer, more gradual, prettier) trails down to Roads End in
          > SEKI are lovely and there is a store there. It was open in mid-Sept in
          > 2008. I have heard that rangers in SEKI will hold food resupplies mailed to
          > them but can NOT confirm that.
          >
          > John Curran Ladd
          > 1616 Castro Street
          > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          > 415-648-9279
          >

          > On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM, miltoncross4 <tony@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm going to be doing a late-season hike of the JMT this year starting on
          > > September 20th. My biggest logistical concern is resupply stops. I've been
          > > contacting the different resupply spots to see how late in the season
          > > they're open. At this point I've heard back from Muir Trail Ranch that they
          > > close on September 18th, so I'm out of luck on that one.
          > >
          > > I have searched through the messages and seen some notes on packer resuppy
          > > options around Onion Valley, but nonetheless wanted to ask if any of you
          > > have any advice on how/where to resupply at this late time of year. I'm
          > > hoping (but have yet to confirm) that Red's and Vermillion Valley will still
          > > be open, but even if they are, having Vermillion Valley as my last resupply
          > > would be awfully tough. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Also, I would love to hear from anyone who has experience hiking the trail
          > > at this time of year, and any specific thoughts you may have on things to
          > > look out for.
          > >
          > > Thanks very much!

        • Peter Burke
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6 6:39 AM
            On 5/5/2011 9:57 PM, miltoncross4 wrote:
            > Thanks for your replies, Peter and John.
            >
            > Thus far I've been able to determine that Red's will most likely be open through about October 15th, and the timing for VVR should be about the same. Looks like having VVR as the last resupply point is going to have to work!

            good news on Reds being open that late, given I want to start in
            Yosemite around October 5 to head south. Light pack for the first two
            days, then light again to VVR, and after that I'm usually good to go
            with one full can to the Portal.
          • miltoncross4
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6 9:23 AM
              Peter (and all), my apologies! I was looking at the wrong information when I wrote my note below. Red's in fact confirmed that they will be CLOSED by October 1. Peter, looks like you're in for just one resupply at VVR.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 6 10:14 AM
                On 5/6/2011 11:23 AM, miltoncross4 wrote:
                > Peter (and all), my apologies! I was looking at the wrong information when I wrote my note below. Red's in fact confirmed that they will be CLOSED by October 1. Peter, looks like you're in for just one resupply at VVR.

                No problem - after all, that's what I was planning on initially anyway.
                The whole point of going so late was to be out after most common resuppy
                locations close for the season, which is the only time you are likely to
                find solitude for long stretches of the JMT.