RE: [John Muir Trail] Meeting a friend along the trail

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2011
      aha! then I won't be worrying about it . . . case closed . . . but even so, it seems that they wouldn't issue you a permit to go in without that also being a permit to go out . . .

      bob rapidly heading down to portal from sleepless WINDY night on the summit

      meek ranger: can I see your permit? (so young he might have still been in diapers)

      Bob: yes! (assuming you can catch up to me) as I marched past him, full speed.

      I don't know what he looked like after that, as I refused to stop or look back at him and he said absolutely nothing. I really didn't see the point in his asking, or my stopping, other than to watch his trembling fingers as I hurriedly produced my perfectly folded, not opened since the valley, permit.

      you had to be there . . .

      bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: barbara@...
      Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:23:07 -0700
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Meeting a friend along the trail

      It depends on where you enter. If it's in a Nat Park you don't need a WP exit permit. If you start from an Inyo Nat Forest trailhead, then you do.

       Barbara
      Typos by iPhone.

      On Apr 28, 2011, at 4:34 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

      "That's right, there is an exit quota for Mt. Whitney via the portal.  You may have trouble obtaining one this late in the season.  If so, you will need to continue south to Horseshoe Meadows, which is also above Lone Pine, but another three days hike."

      Amanda,

      Is this something brand new. Have I been breaking the law . . . Are you speaking specifically about whitney quotas and the need for a permit there?

      I'm just curious about this and may have passed up this thread, but . . . you might be causing unnecessary fear with this one . . . it sounds like you're saying that JMT hikers not only have to have a permit to hike the JMT but also a permit to just get off whitney and down to Lone Pine.

      I don't think two permits is the case. Everyone who's ever obtained a permit for the JMT has had this question in one form or another, "Do I need more than one permit?"

      If experience is anything, you only need to obtain one permit that allows you to go from wherever you start, to the very end of the trail (which you could say is the top of whitney) and then down to the portal and a JMT permit is good for every step in that direction.

      As many times as I've done it, and as many times as I've had to show a backcountry ranger my permit, they've never asked for another permit to exit via the portal. THere's no one at Guitar Lake or Trail camp, asking to see your separate exit permit.

      Your JMT permit is all-inclusive. There are certainly quotas for people heading up whitney from the portal, but as for JMT hikers, you've already got all you need in your permit.

      If I am missing the latest, then tell me something new.

      Thanks, Bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: aslive@...
      Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:48:48 -0700