Snow Advanced Course - Forester

  • ned@mountaineducation.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2011
      We are crumbling under pressure to consider offering an early season, high-altitude Sierra, Snow Advanced Course to run 10 days from Kennedy Meadows to Kearsarge Pass--before the thru hikers get there.

      The Course would be designed to:
      - further develop your snow skills beyond our "Basic" level,
      - train you in the habits, techniques, skills, and safety-foresight needed to thru hike the Sierra under snow,
      - give you the mentored experience of crossing creeks and climbing Passes like Forester, as you prepare for you own 2012 thru hike next year,
      - and give 2011 thru hikers the info they need leaving KM on what the Sierra really looks like, how much snow is there and at what altitude, if there is any ice on the Passes, how swollen the creeks really are, and what it takes for their safe passage.

      If there is enough interest, this Course will formally be announced at the Kickoff, this weekend, so RSVP now if you are interested!

      Date: early May (date TBD)
      Prerequisites: our Snow Basics Course or equivalent, great fitness, desire, and determination.

      (There may be another 10-day SAC offered from Kearsarge to Bishop Passes. TBA.)

      "Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

      Ned Tibbits, Director
      Mountain Education
      1106A Ski Run Blvd