A week on the JMT...need advice

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2007
      My buddy and I will be on the trail for a week in mid August. We wil leave Tuolumne
      Meadows and head South on the JMT. We will exit into Mammoth at the end of the week.
      I was thinking we may get as far South as Virginia Lake and would head back to Mammoth
      over Duck Pass.

      We don't have a specific distance we are trying to cover and are open to side trips along
      the way. The more I am investigating the more I am concluding that the area West of
      Mammoth can be quite crowded with folks on day hikes and short trips.

      To avoid the crowds and have a more enjoyable wilderness experience I am considering
      whether we should a) stay north and East of Garnet Lake and explore the many different
      areas up thereor b) blow though the Ediza/Shadow Lakes and Mammoth/Devils Postpile
      area and get South of the crowds.

      Someone who knows the area...please advise.