Meeting points along the John Muir Trail?

  • Julio
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2007
      Dear hikers:
      Is there any "rendezvouz" or meeting point/trail between John Muir
      Ranch and Guitar Lake, where someone can hike in withh supplies to
      meet with a JMT thru-hiker? I ask because a buddy of mine cannot do
      the entire trail but insted to hike in to meet with me somewhere along
      the trail betwen JMRanch and Guitar Lake. Any trailhead or
      intersecting trail in that area? And also, where is the trailhead?
      Thank you.
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Julio" <Patronio@...> wrote:

        > Dear hikers:
        > Is there any "rendezvouz" or meeting point/trail between John Muir
        > Ranch and Guitar Lake, where someone can hike in withh supplies to
        > meet with a JMT thru-hiker? I ask because a buddy of mine cannot do
        > the entire trail but insted to hike in to meet with me somewhere along
        > the trail betwen JMRanch and Guitar Lake. Any trailhead or
        > intersecting trail in that area? And also, where is the trailhead?
        > Thank you.

        There are numerous possibilities.

        Easiest place is Onion Valley TH over Kersage Pass and meet up at
        Charlotte Lake. From there you go over Forrester and up to Guitar Lake.
        This way his car will be on the East side of the Sierra and you can
        take Inyo Transit back to the town of Independence and hitch back to
        Onion valley.

        He could come in at Florence Lake and take the boat over and come over
        and meet you at Muir Trail Ranch. The only problem with this is
        getting back to his car.

        Same he could come in at North Lake at Bishop over Piute Pass and
        meetup right where you enter Evolution Valley. (East side)

        Bishop Pass out of South Lake also Bishop meet up at pete's
        meadow.(East side)

        There is also Tabbose Pass and actually several other non-maintained
        passes off the East side. This depends on his experience level.

        I would really recommend coming in on the east side as getting back
        over to the West side to p/u a car is a lot of trouble.
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2007
          If he comes in through Onion Valley then make sure you both meet on
          the right trail. there are 2 trails that go parallel to each other on
          the west side of Kearsarge Pass.

          When I hiked the JMT 2 years ago we were to meet our food drop at
          Bullfrog Lake then head south together. We never saw him though and
          were out of food, so we hiked to OV and hitched into Independence. We
          came back the next day with food and then found our friend at the
          trail junction in the middle of a blizzard. When he got over Kearsage
          the previous day he saw a bunch of warning signs that said "no camping
          at bullfrog lake" so he decided to take the other trail, so we missed
          each other. He had no tent and no water filtration so he was frozen
          and dehydrated.

          Make sure you both know exactly where to meet or better yet, hike to
          OV to meet him.

          Brian

        • Patronio@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
            Thank you for your posting about meeting along Onion Valley. My question: Is
            it possible or not to camp around Bullfrog Lake? Another option is Charlotte
            Lake. . .I believe Frank suggested that.
            Julio

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
              It's possible but not legal to camp around Bullfrog.
              Charlotte is a good alternative if you are traveling
              north on the JMT. Otherwise it is out of the way but
              not too much.

              --- Patronio@... wrote:

              > Thank you for your posting about meeting along Onion
              > Valley. My question: Is
              > it possible or not to camp around Bullfrog Lake?
              > Another option is Charlotte
              > Lake. . .I believe Frank suggested that.
              > Julio

              > removed]

            • Brian
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 23, 2007
                Not possible to camp at Bullfrog Lake. Rangers patrol that area
                frequently.