Re: [John Muir Trail] Trail Time from Happy Isles

  • Kevin Aston
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2007
      I did exactly this last July. You have to realize that the trail is as steep as it gets through the entire stretch you are talking about. I did it in pouring down rain. The 6.7 miles is all up hill, so it depends what kind of shape you are in. There is almost a 3,700 ft elevation climb. It took us longer because of the weather and that I had 6 kids with me, but we spent 10 from start to finish, but took at least 2 hours waiting for the rain to stop. Be prepared for the afternoon rain showers. My website has some distance and elevation numbers at http://www.kevinaston.com/JMTSpreadsheet.html
      Good Luck
      Kevin A

      dh5169 <dh5169@...> wrote:
      According to the permit confirmation and more specifically the NPS
      Yosemite Trail Description, if hiking from Happy Isles and not staying
      in Little Yosemite Valley, you must camp at least 2 miles beyond LYV.
      Can anyone with experience on this section of the trail give me an
      estimate of the hiking time for the minimum 6.7 miles required to meet
      this criteria?
      Thanks.
      Doug

    • Ed Gilroy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2007
        If you are doing half dome, plan on 8 hours, otherwise 6 hours. It can certainly be done in less, but there is alot to check out and there is quite a bit of up.