Re: JMT Resupply and Advice

  • Ralph Alcorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2007
      Re bear cannister capacity, you might consider renting or buying a
      Bearikade Expedition. Pricey, but light and large.
      http://www.wild-ideas.net/products.html
      We can cram 12 days of food in one. We repackage all freeze dried
      food, and get by on a pound per person per day. Not enough for a PCT
      thru-hike, but we don't mind losing a little weight on a JMT thruhike.
      --
      Ralph Alcorn
      http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Alcorn" <rbalcorn@...>
        wrote:

        > Re bear cannister capacity, you might consider renting or buying a
        > Bearikade Expedition. Pricey, but light and large.
        > http://www.wild-ideas.net/products.html
        > We can cram 12 days of food in one. We repackage all freeze dried
        > food, and get by on a pound per person per day. Not enough for a
        PCT
        > thru-hike, but we don't mind losing a little weight on a JMT
        thruhike.
        > --
        > Ralph Alcorn
        > http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

        Ralph,
        Just to clarify - did you mean 12 days of food for one person or two
        people?
        Doug
      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          I have one of these Wild-Ideas and love it. It weighs the same as the ones you can rent, but has 350 ci more space. That is 12 days one person. They are more than $200. You can get a discount if you work with kids or scouts so ask when you call.

          dh5169 <dh5169@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Alcorn" <rbalcorn@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
            On Bearikade Expedition capacity - 12 days of food for 1 person for us
            (1 pound per person per day, and repackage all freeze dried food).
            --
            Ralph Alcorn
            http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
              I got two weeks of food in my Bearikade Expedition, when I resupplied
              at Muir
              Trail Ranch. You can get even more into it if you plan on fishing
              for some of
              your meals and having a light side dish with your trout!!

              Prapanna