(what's your) strange encounter on the (trail) JMT . . .

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 25 KB
    With all this canteen talk that's whizzing by I thought of a strange moment a few years back . . . just coming down off Mather and hitting the flats there, I spy a guy maybe a hundred yards off. He looks like he's wearing blue jeans and a matching jacket, but I kinda think it's one of those infamous JMT mirages you always hear about . . . sightings of John Muir coming out from behind a bush, zipping up,  and so on . . . so I just keep heading towards this apparition . . . I mean, blue jeans? come on . . .

    So sure enough I get within 50, then 20 yards and sure enough––it is a guy in blue jeans and jacket with of course a plaid shirt and a baseball cap and he's carrying two of these felt covered cowboy canteens.

    Now, I've been solo and alone for a day or more (having seen a few folks on Muir Pass a day back) so maybe I walked a little too swiftly towards him but as soon as I  start to say hello, the guy makes a wide turn off the trail and without stopping or tipping his hat, he just keeps on going . . . and he's got no backpack, just the two canteens.

    I just stood there, watching him go . . . a few days later I met up with Dario, the ranger up at Rae Lakes and he confirmed that the guy was a little odd, but did have a permit and inside the canteens––one was water and the other, flour.

    . . . and then there was the old guy with the pop-tarts and tang . . . and a strange flash of light . . . but I'm not supposed to tell anyone about that.

    BOB

  • cjoslyn99
    Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
      Canteen Boy?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>
      wrote:

      > With all this canteen talk that's whizzing by I thought of a strange
      moment a few years back . . . just coming down off Mather and hitting
      the flats there, I spy a guy maybe a hundred yards off. He looks like
      he's wearing blue jeans and a matching jacket, but I kinda think it's
      one of those infamous JMT mirages you always hear about . . . sightings
      of John Muir coming out from behind a bush, zipping up, and so on . . .
      so I just keep heading towards this apparition . . . I mean, blue jeans?
      come on . . .
      > So sure enough I get within 50, then 20 yards and sure enough––it
      is a guy in blue jeans and jacket with of course a plaid shirt and a
      baseball cap and he's carrying two of these felt covered cowboy
      canteens.
      > Now, I've been solo and alone for a day or more (having seen a few
      folks on Muir Pass a day back) so maybe I walked a little too swiftly
      towards him but as soon as I start to say hello, the guy makes a wide
      turn off the trail and without stopping or tipping his hat, he just
      keeps on going . . . and he's got no backpack, just the two canteens.
      > I just stood there, watching him go . . . a few days later I met up
      with Dario, the ranger up at Rae Lakes and he confirmed that the guy was
      a little odd, but did have a permit and inside the canteens––one
      was water and the other, flour.
      > . . . and then there was the old guy with the pop-tarts and tang . . .
      and a strange flash of light . . . but I'm not supposed to tell anyone
      about that.
      > BOB

    • robert shattuck
      Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
        he was more of middle-aged canteen cowboy . . . I was looking for a beat up chevy truck farther down the trail . . . (but all I found was that helicopter seat)

        forkfestreview.blogspot.com
        sparklefart.blogspot.com

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: cjoslyn99@...
        Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 00:08:28 +0000
        Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: (what's your) strange encounter on the (trail) JMT . . .

        wrote:

        > With all this canteen talk that's whizzing by I thought of a strange
        moment a few years back . . . just coming down off Mather and hitting
        the flats there, I spy a guy maybe a hundred yards off. He looks like
        he's wearing blue jeans and a matching jacket, but I kinda think it's
        one of those infamous JMT mirages you always hear about . . . sightings
        of John Muir coming out from behind a bush, zipping up, and so on . . .
        so I just keep heading towards this apparition . . . I mean, blue jeans?
        come on . . .
        > So sure enough I get within 50, then 20 yards and sure enough––it
        is a guy in blue jeans and jacket with of course a plaid shirt and a
        baseball cap and he's carrying two of these felt covered cowboy
        canteens.
        > Now, I've been solo and alone for a day or more (having seen a few
        folks on Muir Pass a day back) so maybe I walked a little too swiftly
        towards him but as soon as I start to say hello, the guy makes a wide
        turn off the trail and without stopping or tipping his hat, he just
        keeps on going . . . and he's got no backpack, just the two canteens.
        > I just stood there, watching him go . . . a few days later I met up
        with Dario, the ranger up at Rae Lakes and he confirmed that the guy was
        a little odd, but did have a permit and inside the canteens––one
        was water and the other, flour.
        > . . . and then there was the old guy with the pop-tarts and tang . . .
        and a strange flash of light . . . but I'm not supposed to tell anyone
        about that.
        > BOB

      • outdoorman2200
        Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
          We were walking towards Florence lake just off the muir trail and we had
          3 very strange things happen all in a row. The first wasnt all that strange , but to me never having seen anyone walking in those 5 finger vibram shoes , flopping down the trail towards us , good thing i saw him before his prints or I would have sat and pondered that for a while. The next guy that we saw was about a 3/4 of a mile from the lake looking for the boat ramp... I was like dude .. I know we havent hit the lake yet , you are walking away from the ramp .. he looked at me like I was nuts..
          Am I in the Twilight zone ? he quickly was gone.. There was a few minutes of peace and hoping to get a good view of the lake , we were going to turn left just before the lake approach to head up Thompson pass, we were about to cross the South fork of the San Joaquin river , when my thoughts turned to a fellow walking towards us , in camos and a compound bow, loaded with an arrow !! Ok its hunting season ? bow season maybe its late August .. So when I inquired what he was hunting ( i figured deer , but hey I wanted to try to be friendly to the guy ) , he said oh no , i am just out for a walk !!! ok thats it, no more people PLEASE !!! what a strange afternoon ... we didnt see a another soul for 2 solid days after that I was glad !!!
        • robert shattuck
          Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
            "when my thoughts turned to a fellow walking towards us , in camos and a compound bow, loaded with an arrow !! Ok its hunting season ? bow season maybe its late August ... "

            was this two three years ago, late august . . . might have seen the same guy, headed up to Sallie keyes . . . said he was out for the night and didn't plan on sleeping . . . just looking for deer.

            BOB

          • outdoorman2200
            Message 6 of 7 , Apr 20, 2011
              You know then you continue to wonder what would he do , once he did get that deer ?? Our guy had no equipment other than the bow and arrow...
              it just was so out of place.. This happened last summer and you know it could have been the same guy ? I sure hope we dont hear about that guy in some mall one day for gods sake.. gees

              > "when my thoughts turned to a fellow walking towards us , in camos and a compound bow, loaded with an arrow !! Ok its hunting season ? bow season maybe its late August ... "
              > was this two three years ago, late august . . . might have seen the same guy, headed up to Sallie keyes . . . said he was out for the night and didn't plan on sleeping . . . just looking for deer.
              >
              > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

            • targetdoggmechanic
              Message 7 of 7 , Apr 21, 2011
                One time I had 3 wacko PCT hikers try to bum tobacco off me on top of Selden Pass. I told them I don't even smoke and I didn't have tobacco on me. They looked at me like I was lying to them. Then they asked me if I had any candy. Again, I'm not a fan of sweets except a few m&m's or reeses here and there, but I told them I did not have any. They then blocked my path and it appeared they were not going to let me thru, and said, "Boy, I know you got some candy, we're starving, please help us out." If they would have explained that from the get-go, I would have gave them what I could spare since I had a resupply waiting at MTR, but the "pirate" approach killed it for me. I told them to get the F*** out of my way and if they wanted supplies to go down to VVR. I walked away and they just stood there and watched, with their extreme minimalist packs and non-prepared for the sierra portion of the JMT gear. I'm not a fan of fighting, but I seriously thought I was going to have to throw down. Trail pirates...definitely a weird trail occurance. Everyone else (mostly) has always been so friendly.