Re: Permits and temperatures

  • hikingpdub
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Simon"
      <jennifer.a.simon@...> wrote:

      > My husband and I are considering hiking the JMT beginning around
      August 1.
      > We're still in the early stages of planning, so I apologize if
      these
      > questions sound clueless.
      >
      > 1. We do not currently have a permit and so will be hoping for a
      walkup
      > permit. Since apparently 40% are held back for this purpose, it
      seems this
      > should be very doable. But apparently some people are
      unsuccessful. Is a
      > walkup permit obtained simply by showing up earlier than the other
      guys? If
      > so, how early does one need to arrive at the Yosemite Valley
      Wilderness
      > Center (that's the right permit office, right?)? Do you just need
      to be
      > sure you're there at 8am sharp, or do some people plant themselves
      outside
      > the office much earlier? Basically what I want is the time I need
      to show
      > up to be virtually gauranteed a permit, not just to have a good
      chance.

      > 2. What range of temperatures are average for August on the JMT?
      What
      > range of temperatures should I be prepared for (worst case
      scenario)?

      > Thanks for your help,
      > Jennifer

      Jennifer,

      I hiked the JMT last summer. I got my permit at the Toulomne Meadows
      ranger station the day before my hike. I got there at 10 a.m. to get
      a permit for the next day, Saturday the 12th of August. There were
      3 parties in front of me. Everyone received the permit they wanted
      including myself.

      You have to remember they not only save 40% back which is a lot. If
      you don't pick up your permit by 10 a.m. the day of the hike it is
      forfeited. Needless to say a lot of people get permits 6 months in
      advance and then things change and they never show up.

      I would go anytime the day before to get your permit and if for some
      reason you it was full you have a second chance the next day after
      10 a.m.

      Last summer in August the low's were right around freezing and the
      high;s were in the lo to mid 70'S