Re: [John Muir Trail] Permits and temperatures

  • Jamie F. Dahl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2007
      Be prepared for the full spectrum, carry at least lightweight thermals, and convertible pants are the key..they help in layering up/down...
      Whitney gets COLD in the morning, especially if it's Windy up there.

      you should be fine w/ a ~30 degree bag, just be prepared to layer up if it does drop down.

      I did the JMT in 2004 in late July/early aug and it never really got above 70. A used a 35 degree bag for the trip, and slept out a lot of nights...(tentless), only once or twice i had to put thermals on, or sleep with a hat on..

      Jamie Dahl

      "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir