Permits and temperatures

  • Jennifer Simon
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13 4:10 PM
      My husband and I are considering hiking the JMT beginning around August 1.
      We're still in the early stages of planning, so I apologize if these
      questions sound clueless.

      1. We do not currently have a permit and so will be hoping for a walkup
      permit. Since apparently 40% are held back for this purpose, it seems this
      should be very doable. But apparently some people are unsuccessful. Is a
      walkup permit obtained simply by showing up earlier than the other guys? If
      so, how early does one need to arrive at the Yosemite Valley Wilderness
      Center (that's the right permit office, right?)? Do you just need to be
      sure you're there at 8am sharp, or do some people plant themselves outside
      the office much earlier? Basically what I want is the time I need to show
      up to be virtually gauranteed a permit, not just to have a good chance.

      2. What range of temperatures are average for August on the JMT? What
      range of temperatures should I be prepared for (worst case scenario)?

      Thanks for your help,
      Jennifer

    • hikingpdub
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13 9:44 PM
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Simon"
        <jennifer.a.simon@...> wrote:

        > My husband and I are considering hiking the JMT beginning around
        August 1.
        > We're still in the early stages of planning, so I apologize if
        these
        > questions sound clueless.
        >
        > 1. We do not currently have a permit and so will be hoping for a
        walkup
        > permit. Since apparently 40% are held back for this purpose, it
        seems this
        > should be very doable. But apparently some people are
        unsuccessful. Is a
        > walkup permit obtained simply by showing up earlier than the other
        guys? If
        > so, how early does one need to arrive at the Yosemite Valley
        Wilderness
        > Center (that's the right permit office, right?)? Do you just need
        to be
        > sure you're there at 8am sharp, or do some people plant themselves
        outside
        > the office much earlier? Basically what I want is the time I need
        to show
        > up to be virtually gauranteed a permit, not just to have a good
        chance.

        > 2. What range of temperatures are average for August on the JMT?
        What
        > range of temperatures should I be prepared for (worst case
        scenario)?

        > Thanks for your help,
        > Jennifer

        Jennifer,

        I hiked the JMT last summer. I got my permit at the Toulomne Meadows
        ranger station the day before my hike. I got there at 10 a.m. to get
        a permit for the next day, Saturday the 12th of August. There were
        3 parties in front of me. Everyone received the permit they wanted
        including myself.

        You have to remember they not only save 40% back which is a lot. If
        you don't pick up your permit by 10 a.m. the day of the hike it is
        forfeited. Needless to say a lot of people get permits 6 months in
        advance and then things change and they never show up.

        I would go anytime the day before to get your permit and if for some
        reason you it was full you have a second chance the next day after
        10 a.m.

        Last summer in August the low's were right around freezing and the
        high;s were in the lo to mid 70'S