Re: Alternate Mount Whitney route

  • BillHilton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
      I've come in from Cottonwood several times because of the permit
      situation. Its 39 miles total. I camped at Chicken Springs Lake, Lower
      Rock Creek Crossing, and then Guitar Lake and then over Whitney to the
      Portal. Always was able to get a walk in permit. The key is the
      promise to hike all the way out. Not to try to camp on the east side
      of Whitney.

      I've also come in from Onion Valley, over Kearsarge Pass and Forester
      Pass. Its 47 miles and tougher as Forester is over 13000'. I think it
      is more beautiful, To me the most beautiful part of the JMT.

      Bill