Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Where to park in Mammoth

  • Prapanna Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
      At the junction of the JMT and the Half Dome Trail, there is a good
      camping area about
      50 yards to the left. There is also a small stream nearby. I camped
      there early in the
      afternoon, had lunch and a nap, and then hiked the dome and got back
      to camp before
      dark. Interestingly, just as I woke up the next morning a ranger
      approached me and I
      could see from the way he was walking that he was counting his steps
      to determine if he
      could write me a citation for being within 100 fee of the trail. He
      checked to see if I had
      a bear box and then left. So I can say with certainty that the site
      is legal.

      Prapanna

      On Mar 12, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Patronio@... wrote:

      > I am also planning to summit half dome as part of my JMT trip and
      > would like
      > to know if there is any campsite nearby where I can camp for the
      > day and leave
      > my backpack inside my tent. That way, I can only take a rucksack to
      > Half
      > Moon. Any advice appreciated.

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
        You can park your car in the hikers parking lot
        located in Mammoth at the end of the road (right where
        you would catch the shuttle to Reds). You leave the
        keys with the desk clerk who puts them in a safe and
        pick them back-up upon return. There is , or at least
        was, a flat $5.00 charge. Not a bad deal and it
        eliminates the worry about finding your car torn apart
        by bears upon return. Also, for $5.00 you can take a
        shower at the Inn.

        Thomas