Re: Where to park in Mammoth

  • Patronio@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
      I am also planning to summit half dome as part of my JMT trip and would like
      to know if there is any campsite nearby where I can camp for the day and leave
      my backpack inside my tent. That way, I can only take a rucksack to Half
      Moon. Any advice appreciated.

    • Prapanna Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
        At the junction of the JMT and the Half Dome Trail, there is a good
        camping area about
        50 yards to the left. There is also a small stream nearby. I camped
        there early in the
        afternoon, had lunch and a nap, and then hiked the dome and got back
        to camp before
        dark. Interestingly, just as I woke up the next morning a ranger
        approached me and I
        could see from the way he was walking that he was counting his steps
        to determine if he
        could write me a citation for being within 100 fee of the trail. He
        checked to see if I had
        a bear box and then left. So I can say with certainty that the site
        is legal.

        Prapanna

        On Mar 12, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Patronio@... wrote:

        > I am also planning to summit half dome as part of my JMT trip and
        > would like
        > to know if there is any campsite nearby where I can camp for the
        > day and leave
        > my backpack inside my tent. That way, I can only take a rucksack to
        > Half
        > Moon. Any advice appreciated.

      • thomas taylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
          You can park your car in the hikers parking lot
          located in Mammoth at the end of the road (right where
          you would catch the shuttle to Reds). You leave the
          keys with the desk clerk who puts them in a safe and
          pick them back-up upon return. There is , or at least
          was, a flat $5.00 charge. Not a bad deal and it
          eliminates the worry about finding your car torn apart
          by bears upon return. Also, for $5.00 you can take a
          shower at the Inn.

          Thomas