Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT Resupply and Advice

  • Bob Bankhead
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2007
      Some prior threads from this group on the this subject. Sorry if they're repeats for you.

      "" Best bet - find a friend or someone from this list who would like to have an all-expenses paid overnight hiking experience while humping your resupply into an established trail junction."
      =======================

      "I used the packer from Independence who comes out of Onion Valley to
      Charlotte Lake Ranger Station. They have a bear secure 55 gal drum to
      leave your package to you don't have to meet at a certain time. Cost
      me about $250. At that point in the trip ( I'm 65> it was worth not
      having to hike out.

      Sequoia Kings Pack Trains
      Headquarters Onion Valley
      P.O. Box 209
      Independence, CA 93526

      760/387-2797
      800/962-0775
      =================
      "One of the most beautiful hikes in the Sierra is from LeConte Canyon
      over Bishop Pass to South Lake and resupply. Parchers camp will hold
      packages. I think you could pay them to drop them off too, down on the
      PCT. "
      ======================
      "> > There is a resupply option that I rarely hear anyone talk about,
      but I use it all the time. You can send a package to the Ranger
      Station at Road's End in Kings Canyon National Park. The hike out to
      Roads End is very nice, exceptionally pretty, and very easy. (Most of
      it is down-hill.) You can pick up your package and then head back to
      the trail via one of two ways. First, hike back UP HILL to where you
      left the trail at Woods Creek campground. (Near the Suspension Bridge.)

      > > The second re-entry is to follow the trail from Road's End to
      Vidette Meadows, hiking along Bubb's Creek. This is the most direct
      route to rejoin the JMT, but it does miss the "Rae Lakes" and Glen
      Pass route. Easier, and shorter, but you miss some good scenerey.

      > > Option #1 only adds about 15 miles of "back-tracking," but the
      view of Mist Falls is well worth seeing twice. Be warned, though.
      The hike through "Paradise Valley" has a LOT of bear activity in it.
      Be sure to use your bear cannisters through here!

      > > You can call the Rangers at King's Canyon and get all of the
      logistical information. Give them a try! It sure beats trying to
      hitch-hike!"