JMT Resupply and Advice

  • dh5169
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
      My wife and I just received our permit confirmation for the JMT.
      Planning a SoBo trip from Happy Isles to Whitney portal beginning the
      afternoon of August 22nd. Intend to resupply at Red's Meadow and
      MTR. However, next resupply point is the problem - Oh, forget to
      mention my wife is 5' 1" and just about 115 lbs - don't think she'll
      mind my divulging that info! Anyway, even with just a 5-6 day food
      supply I estimate her max pack weight to be about 35 lbs - and I
      believe anything heavier would take the enjoyment out of the trip for
      her. Of course, there's no way to put 10 days worth in a bearvault
      anyway. It seems that a trip to Independence or a packer resupply
      are that most feasible options available. I also read here about
      sending a package to Road's End in King's Canyon. Time is also an
      issue. Our plans call for us to be in Reno for a return flight on
      the 14th of September - an that means at minimum a day for travel
      from Lone Pine to Bishop and then the CREST bus to Reno, so I would
      like to minimize any down-time.

      Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. I am looking advice on all
      resupply alternatives, packer recommendations, and any other
      pertinent information regarding the trip that anyone is willing to
      share!

      Thanks.
      Doug
    • Ralph Alcorn
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2007
        Re bear cannister capacity, you might consider renting or buying a
        Bearikade Expedition. Pricey, but light and large.
        http://www.wild-ideas.net/products.html
        We can cram 12 days of food in one. We repackage all freeze dried
        food, and get by on a pound per person per day. Not enough for a PCT
        thru-hike, but we don't mind losing a little weight on a JMT thruhike.
        --
        Ralph Alcorn
        http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Alcorn" <rbalcorn@...>
          wrote:

          > Re bear cannister capacity, you might consider renting or buying a
          > Bearikade Expedition. Pricey, but light and large.
          > http://www.wild-ideas.net/products.html
          > We can cram 12 days of food in one. We repackage all freeze dried
          > food, and get by on a pound per person per day. Not enough for a
          PCT
          > thru-hike, but we don't mind losing a little weight on a JMT
          thruhike.
          > --
          > Ralph Alcorn
          > http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

          Ralph,
          Just to clarify - did you mean 12 days of food for one person or two
          people?
          Doug
        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
            I have one of these Wild-Ideas and love it. It weighs the same as the ones you can rent, but has 350 ci more space. That is 12 days one person. They are more than $200. You can get a discount if you work with kids or scouts so ask when you call.

            dh5169 <dh5169@...> wrote: --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Alcorn" <rbalcorn@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
              On Bearikade Expedition capacity - 12 days of food for 1 person for us
              (1 pound per person per day, and repackage all freeze dried food).
              --
              Ralph Alcorn
              http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2007
                I got two weeks of food in my Bearikade Expedition, when I resupplied
                at Muir
                Trail Ranch. You can get even more into it if you plan on fishing
                for some of
                your meals and having a light side dish with your trout!!

                Prapanna