Where to park in Mammoth

  • hewhohikesalot
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
      I've decided to hike part of JMT from Yosemite Valley to Reds Meadow in
      early September of this year and was wondering where is a safe and
      convenient place to leave a car in Mammoth? I'm going to take the bus
      from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley where I will start the hike. Any good
      motels or hotels worth recommending in Mammoth?

      I'd also like to summit Half Dome as a side trip and was wondering what
      people do with their packs? I would hate to leave my pack near the
      trail for fear of someone stealing it or a bear damaging it and I don't
      particularly want to carry it to the top and back.

      Everyone's advice is appreciated.
    • hikingpdub
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hewhohikesalot"
        <hewhohikes@...> wrote:

        > I've decided to hike part of JMT from Yosemite Valley to Reds
        Meadow in
        > early September of this year and was wondering where is a safe and
        > convenient place to leave a car in Mammoth? I'm going to take the
        bus
        > from Mammoth to Yosemite Valley where I will start the hike. Any
        good
        > motels or hotels worth recommending in Mammoth?
        >
        > I'd also like to summit Half Dome as a side trip and was wondering
        what
        > people do with their packs? I would hate to leave my pack near
        the
        > trail for fear of someone stealing it or a bear damaging it and I
        don't
        > particularly want to carry it to the top and back.
        >
        > Everyone's advice is appreciated.
        >My suggestion is to stay at the Shilo Inn in Mammoth. I stayed
        there last year before my JMT hike. They allowed me to park my car
        in the covered parking garage for a week. Another plus is the Yarts
        bus picks up right in front of this hotel.
      • Patronio@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
          I am also planning to summit half dome as part of my JMT trip and would like
          to know if there is any campsite nearby where I can camp for the day and leave
          my backpack inside my tent. That way, I can only take a rucksack to Half
          Moon. Any advice appreciated.

        • Prapanna Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
            At the junction of the JMT and the Half Dome Trail, there is a good
            camping area about
            50 yards to the left. There is also a small stream nearby. I camped
            there early in the
            afternoon, had lunch and a nap, and then hiked the dome and got back
            to camp before
            dark. Interestingly, just as I woke up the next morning a ranger
            approached me and I
            could see from the way he was walking that he was counting his steps
            to determine if he
            could write me a citation for being within 100 fee of the trail. He
            checked to see if I had
            a bear box and then left. So I can say with certainty that the site
            is legal.

            Prapanna

            On Mar 12, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Patronio@... wrote:

            > I am also planning to summit half dome as part of my JMT trip and
            > would like
            > to know if there is any campsite nearby where I can camp for the
            > day and leave
            > my backpack inside my tent. That way, I can only take a rucksack to
            > Half
            > Moon. Any advice appreciated.

          • thomas taylor
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
              You can park your car in the hikers parking lot
              located in Mammoth at the end of the road (right where
              you would catch the shuttle to Reds). You leave the
              keys with the desk clerk who puts them in a safe and
              pick them back-up upon return. There is , or at least
              was, a flat $5.00 charge. Not a bad deal and it
              eliminates the worry about finding your car torn apart
              by bears upon return. Also, for $5.00 you can take a
              shower at the Inn.

              Thomas