Alternate Mount Whitney route

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2007
      I did the Main Mount Whitney Trail back in 2005, I tried to get a
      permit for this year and was unsucessful. Does anyone have any
      information on going from Cottonwood Basin to Whitney and exiting on
      Trail Crest? Or any information on Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass to
      Whitney. I am just looking to find out informaion on How long the trip
      may take, we tend to hike 10-15 miles a day. Any information would be
      appreciated.

      Thank you

      Jay Strine

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2007
          I did this route twice in 2003,
          1st trek went over cottonwood lakes, and then a frontal assault up Cirque Peak (dont go in June), the guys I was with wanted to run for the most part, did 43 miles in 4 days, not a problem, but not enjoyable. We also did some night hiking. That trip in general was not the best experience..

          2nd trek, went up horseshoe pass instead, and spent 7 days. Stayed at

          The key I suggest is staying at Guitar lake the night before the summit, you are less likely to get caught by storms during the day, if you leave early enough you can hit the peak at sunrise, oh and yah crowds are nil.

          On my 2nd go round up the backside, I sat about halfway up the trail for about an hour. The wind was still, the moon was a half moon, it was when jupiter was running at peak closeness. I've never experienced that level of silence...it was very calm(ing) very still. I rank that 30 minutes as one of the most sedate, whole and at peace moments in my life.

          Jamie Dahl

          "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir

          I did the Main Mount Whitney Trail back in 2005, I tried to get a

          permit for this year and was unsucessful. Does anyone have any

          information on going from Cottonwood Basin to Whitney and exiting on

          Trail Crest? Or any information on Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass to

          Whitney. I am just looking to find out informaion on How long the trip

          may take, we tend to hike 10-15 miles a day. Any information would be

          appreciated.

          Thank you

          Jay Strine

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;
          }
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          padding-top:10px;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar{
          clear:both;
          margin:25px 0;
          white-space:nowrap;
          color:#666;
          text-align:right;
          }
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;
          white-space:nowrap;
          }
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          padding:15px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-ft{
          font-family:verdana;
          font-size:77%;
          border-top:1px solid #666;
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;
          }

          #ygrp-vital{
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          font-size:77%;
          font-family:Verdana;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#333;
          text-transform:uppercase;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;
          margin:2px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          list-style-type:none;
          clear:both;
          border:1px solid #e0ecee;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#ff7900;
          float:right;
          width:2em;
          text-align:right;
          padding-right:.5em;
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;
          }
          #ygrp-vital a {
          text-decoration:none;
          }

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          padding:6px 13px;
          background-color:#e0ecee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;
          margin:0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          list-style-type:square;
          padding:6px 0;
          font-size:77%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;
          font-size:130%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
          background-color:#eee;
          margin-bottom:20px;
          padding:0 8px;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          font-family:Arial;
          font-weight:bold;
          color:#628c2a;
          font-size:100%;
          line-height:122%;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;
          }
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;
          }
          o {font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal {
          margin:0 0 0 0;
          }
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;
          }
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq {margin:4;}
          -->

        • BillHilton
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
            I've come in from Cottonwood several times because of the permit
            situation. Its 39 miles total. I camped at Chicken Springs Lake, Lower
            Rock Creek Crossing, and then Guitar Lake and then over Whitney to the
            Portal. Always was able to get a walk in permit. The key is the
            promise to hike all the way out. Not to try to camp on the east side
            of Whitney.

            I've also come in from Onion Valley, over Kearsarge Pass and Forester
            Pass. Its 47 miles and tougher as Forester is over 13000'. I think it
            is more beautiful, To me the most beautiful part of the JMT.

            Bill