Logistics

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7, 2007
      Without boring you with the details... due to a timing issue the Yarts shuttle which picks
      up at 7:00 am in Mammoth isn't going to work for me. What are my other alternatives to
      get from Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows?
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 8, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jvfbender@...> wrote:

        > Without boring you with the details... due to a timing issue the
        Yarts shuttle which picks
        > up at 7:00 am in Mammoth isn't going to work for me. What are my
        other alternatives to
        > get from Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows?

        Not a whole lot.

        Check out the Crest schedule which might get you up to Lee Vineing.

        Really hitch-hiking is the way that most people get around on the east
        side of the Sierra.

        I understand that a lot of folks are reluctant to do this but it is
        the easiest way to get around. I have done it alone and with my wife.

        I almost always seemed to get rides with either other backpackers or
        foreign tourists.

        good luck,

        frank
      • greg padgett
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28, 2011
          Hey guys, I'm new to the group and would first off like to say hi to you all. I hope all is well.

          I am in the preliminary stages of planning a thru-hike of the JMT and was looking for some advice.

          I will be traveling from the east coast (Charlotte, NC) and plan to either fly into San Fran or Oakland. Is there a preference between those two? Then take a bus to Yosemite. That seems to be the easy part. My question is how most folks get back to their city of arrival after finishing? Step by step instructions here would be helpful. :D  I do have a couple of guides and a set of maps on order which should help but I thought it might be nice to hear from experienced hikers first hand.

          I also have questions on resupply points so if you have some advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

          Thank you very much for your time.

          Greg

        • Kim Fishburn
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2011
            I think you'll find all your answers in the "File" section of the group. They've got it down to a science. Take Amtrak from the bay area to Merced.

            Kim

            Hey guys, I'm new to the group and would first off like to say hi to you all. I hope all is well.

            I am in the preliminary stages of planning a thru-hike of the JMT and was looking for some advice.

            I will be traveling from the east coast (Charlotte, NC) and plan to either fly into San Fran or Oakland. Is there a preference between those two? Then take a bus to Yosemite. That seems to be the easy part. My question is how most folks get back to their city of arrival after finishing? Step by step instructions here would be helpful. :D  I do have a couple of guides and a set of maps on order which should help but I thought it might be nice to hear from experienced hikers first hand.

            I also have questions on resupply points so if you have some advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

            Thank you very much for your time.

            Greg

          • targetdoggmechanic
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 28, 2011
              SFO would be my choice coming from NC, spend the night, then Amtrak from there to Yosemite. The train will take you to Merced, and then Amtrak (YARTS) bus to Yosemite. They have route options to allow you to get dropped off in the valley (right smack at the permit office) or Tuolumne Mdws on their website...pretty easy.

              Getting home from Lone Pine (LP) is a bit more involved but not difficult. Easy hitch a ride to town from Whitney Portal. Spend the night in LP, and hitch up the 395 to Bishop or Mammoth if you can in the morning...sometimes you might get a ride all the way to Yosemite (Tuolumne or the valley even!) from a Los Angeles area Yosemite visitor. If not, Bishop is a good spot where you can easily get to Yose but might have to spend the night. There is a bus that can take you to Mammoth from there and you could either hitch or take the YARTS to Yose. 395 is super hiker friendly and if you have a pack it isnt that hard to get a ride. If you're opposed to hitching, there is a early bus route from LP that will take you all the way to Mammoth where you quickly transfer to a YARTS bus that will take you to TM or the valley. From there, reverse the route with the YARTS/Amtrak/SFO combo. You could also go directly from LP to LAX by bus (a short layover in Lancaster, CA). The buses are pretty cheap, (<$50 for entire trip back to Yosemite).

              There are tons of experts in this group that do this every year, but check the file section, which will give you more options and also the websites to the bus systems running along the east sierra corridor.

              Happy planning!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@...> wrote:

              > Hey guys, I'm new to the group and would first off like to say hi to you all. I hope all is well.
              > I am in the preliminary stages of planning a thru-hike of the JMT and was looking for some advice.
              > I will be traveling from the east coast (Charlotte, NC) and plan to either fly into San Fran or Oakland. Is there a preference between those two? Then take a bus to Yosemite. That seems to be the easy part. My question is how most folks get back to their city of arrival after finishing? Step by step instructions here would be helpful. :D  I do have a couple of guides and a set of maps on order which should help but I thought it might be nice to hear from experienced hikers first hand.
              > I also have questions on resupply points so if you have some advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.
              > Thank you very much for your time.
              > Greg

            • charliepolecat
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2011
                From SFO: BART to Richmond, Amtrak to Merced, YARTS to Happy Isle.
              • cjoslyn99
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 30, 2011
                  Not sure what sort of flights you can get from Charlotte, but look into
                  flying to/from Reno. On the front end, you'll only need to get yourself
                  to Lee Vining to YARTs into the park (either TM or Happy Isles). On the
                  back end, there is a fairly regular (weekdays / summer only) CREST bus
                  that goes from Lone Pine to RNO.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@...> wrote:

                  > Hey guys, I'm new to the group and would first off like to say hi to
                  you all. I hope all is well.
                  > I am in the preliminary stages of planning a thru-hike of the JMT and
                  was looking for some advice.
                  > I will be traveling from the east coast (Charlotte, NC) and plan to
                  either fly into San Fran or Oakland. Is there a preference between those
                  two? Then take a bus to Yosemite. That seems to be the easy part. My
                  question is how most folks get back to their city of arrival after
                  finishing? Step by step instructions here would be helpful. :D I do
                  have a couple of guides and a set of maps on order which should help but
                  I thought it might be nice to hear from experienced hikers first hand.
                  > I also have questions on resupply points so if you have some advice
                  for me I would greatly appreciate it.
                  > Thank you very much for your time.
                  > Greg

                • greg padgett
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
                    cjoslyn99,

                    I appreciate the heads up on Reno. That certainly sounds simpler than the alternatives I have been looking at. I will look further into this option.

                    Thanks again

                    Greg

                    Not sure what sort of flights you can get from Charlotte, but look into
                    flying to/from Reno. On the front end, you'll only need to get yourself
                    to Lee Vining to YARTs into the park (either TM or Happy Isles). On the
                    back end, there is a fairly regular (weekdays / summer only) CREST bus
                    that goes from Lone Pine to RNO.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@...> wrote:

                    > Hey guys, I'm new to the group and would first off like to say hi to
                    you all. I hope all is well.
                    > I am in the preliminary stages of planning a thru-hike of the JMT and
                    was looking for some advice.
                    > I will be traveling from the east coast (Charlotte, NC) and plan to
                    either fly into San Fran or Oakland. Is there a preference between those
                    two? Then take a bus to Yosemite. That seems to be the easy part. My
                    question is how most folks get back to their city of arrival after
                    finishing? Step by step instructions here would be helpful. :D I do
                    have a couple of guides and a set of maps on order which should help but
                    I thought it might be nice to hear from experienced hikers first hand.
                    > I also have questions on resupply points so if you have some advice
                    for me I would greatly appreciate it.
                    > Thank you very much for your time.
                    > Greg

                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 31, 2011
                      Greg, This is a long-shot, but if you time your JMT hike right, I could give you a ride from Reno to Lee Vining, Mammoth, or Lone Pine. I live in Sparks, NV and have given hikers rides in the past, but it will depend on when you are planning on going. Let me know if I can help in any way. I usually plan 2 - 3 weekend hikes in that area and 1 long hike in the Sierras in early to mid - August.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@...> wrote:

                      > cjoslyn99,
                      > I appreciate the heads up on Reno. That certainly sounds simpler than the alternatives I have been looking at. I will look further into this option.
                      > Thanks again
                      > Greg

                    • greg padgett
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                        Thanks Robert, I'll definitely keep that in mind. As of now, I haven't yet decided on an exact date. Not sure if I should start at the beginning of August or wait until the middle. I'd like to miss the hottest weather and the bugs but I also don't want to risk being snowed out of Whitney. Any suggestions?

                        Thanks

                        Greg

                        Greg, This is a long-shot, but if you time your JMT hike right, I could give you a ride from Reno to Lee Vining, Mammoth, or Lone Pine. I live in Sparks, NV and have given hikers rides in the past, but it will depend on when you are planning on going. Let me know if I can help in any way. I usually plan 2 - 3 weekend hikes in that area and 1 long hike in the Sierras in early to mid - August.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@...> wrote:

                        > cjoslyn99,
                        > I appreciate the heads up on Reno. That certainly sounds simpler than the alternatives I have been looking at. I will look further into this option.
                        > Thanks again
                        > Greg

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                          My 'rule of thumb' for the JMT is: if you like wildflowers, more water and snow, and lots of mozzies...go in July, if you like clear skies, less wildflowers, less mozzies...go in August. July also tends to get more monsoonal weather patterns that are not typical in August where you can get rain most of the day for days in a row if you time it wrong. I have done either sections of, or the whole JMT in August with nary a drop of rain. I have gone in July and wore my rain gear a lot more than normal. My two cents...I take early to mid-August.

                        • greg padgett
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                            Thanks Robert. I'm leaning towards leaving out the second week of August. I'll probably have more questions for you guys in the coming months and I really do appreciate your time.

                            Thanks again

                            Greg

                            My 'rule of thumb' for the JMT is: if you like wildflowers, more water and snow, and lots of mozzies...go in July, if you like clear skies, less wildflowers, less mozzies...go in August. July also tends to get more monsoonal weather patterns that are not typical in August where you can get rain most of the day for days in a row if you time it wrong. I have done either sections of, or the whole JMT in August with nary a drop of rain. I have gone in July and wore my rain gear a lot more than normal. My two cents...I take early to mid-August.

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, greg padgett <gregp701@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Robert, I'll definitely keep that in mind. As of now, I haven't yet decided on an exact date. Not sure if I should start at the beginning of August or wait until the middle. I'd like to miss the hottest weather and the bugs but I also don't want to risk being snowed out of Whitney. Any suggestions?
                            > Thanks
                            > Greg

                          • Kim Fishburn
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                              I always like being out in the mountains for the Perseid Meteor shower which is around the 12th of August. Great if its near a new moon.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
                                Kim, + 1 to that! It is one reason I like to cowboy camp. It is quite a show.