Bear Canisters

  • gopistons123
    Message 1 of 127 , Apr 15, 2011
      I've never used a bear canister before so I'm wondering about them for my upcoming JMT thruhike. There's going to be three of us so does that mean we take one canister each?
    • Scott Wolfe
      Message 127 of 127 , Jan 21, 2015

      Vidette Meadow

      Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

      From:"robert shattuck bobolonius@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:03 PM
      Subject:Re: [John Muir Trail] Bear Canisters

      " .... including a prolonged attempt in Vidette Meadow"

      It really doesn't matter if you put your canister ten or a hundred feet away, you're going to have bears in Vidette meadow---that's the problem---on that instance.

      ...,..otherwise, yeah, I always leave it within sight as well as flashlight range.

      Bob Shattuck

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 21, 2015, at 7:32 PM, "rnperky@... [johnmuirtrail]" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'm in the same train of thought as Joe on bear can placement. I leave mine in direct line-of-sight and 20-30 feet away from me. I've actually had more events of bear curiosity and attempts to get at it when I've had it further away, including a prolonged attempt at it in Viddette Meadows:) !