Yosemite Logistical Question

  • Jay Strine
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
      We are planning a trip on the JMT in September, We plan to go from
      Yosemite to Reds Meadow. I have never been to Yosemite, and I am eager
      to be able to finally get a chance to experience it.
      I plan on taking Yarts from Mammouth to Yosemite, we are leaving our
      vehicles in Mammouth.
      Once the Yarts drops us off at Yosemite, how long of a walk is it to
      the office to pick up our permit??
      As far as I know there is daily service from Mammouth to Yosemite, does
      anyone know if this is accurate??
      Lastly once we get dropped off and pick up our permit is there
      small/affordale camp ground we could stay while we wait for the
      following day??
      Thank you.

      Jay Strine

    • John Rogers
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
        Hi Jay,
        Where do you plan on starting your trip in Yosemite? Tuolomne Meadows or Yosemite Valley? Both have walk-in campgrounds check www.yosemitefun.com it has a lot of info for you to plan your trip. There are ranger stations in both areas for permits. I believe there is contact information on the website to pre- book a wilderness permit for that leg of the JMT.
        Good Luck,
        John.

        Jay Strine <hundyff@...> wrote:
        We are planning a trip on the JMT in September, We plan to go from
        Yosemite to Reds Meadow. I have never been to Yosemite, and I am eager
        to be able to finally get a chance to experience it.
        I plan on taking Yarts from Mammouth to Yosemite, we are leaving our
        vehicles in Mammouth.
        Once the Yarts drops us off at Yosemite, how long of a walk is it to
        the office to pick up our permit??
        As far as I know there is daily service from Mammouth to Yosemite, does
        anyone know if this is accurate??
        Lastly once we get dropped off and pick up our permit is there
        small/affordale camp ground we could stay while we wait for the
        following day??
        Thank you.

        Jay Strine

      • onkelb0b
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
          You're right - I answered this question on the SEKI site but failed
          to notice he said "Yosemite" which is a really big park!
          As John wrote, there are walk-in campgrounds on the Valley floor too.
          Camp 4 is usually crowded and noisy - it's near the street and filled
          with climbers. This one accepts reservations and can fill quite quickly.
          There is also a backpackers' campground behind the North Pines
          campground. You need a trail permit for the next/previous night to
          stay at the backpackers' site and there's a one night maximum stay.
          Both of these campgrounds fill quickly; although, it's always
          possible to get a site at the backpackers' camp if you're early enough
          (before 14:00?) because of that one night limit. If you're taking the
          bus from Mammoth it arrives about 11:00 or so, which means you
          shouldn't have a problem getting a site there.
          If you are starting from here - try to move past Little Yosemite on
          day one. It's beautiful and all that, but it's a zoo at night -
          crowded and more bears than in the valley (if that's possible!) I
          like to take the Cloud's Rest detour towards Cathedral.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Rogers <john_rogers68@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Jay,
          > Where do you plan on starting your trip in Yosemite? Tuolomne
          Meadows or Yosemite Valley? Both have walk-in campgrounds check
          www.yosemitefun.com it has a lot of info for you to plan your trip.
          There are ranger stations in both areas for permits. I believe there
          is contact information on the website to pre- book a wilderness permit
          for that leg of the JMT.
          > Good Luck,
          > John.
          >
          > Jay Strine <hundyff@...> wrote:
          > We are planning a trip on the JMT in September, We plan to
          go from
          > Yosemite to Reds Meadow. I have never been to Yosemite, and I am eager
          > to be able to finally get a chance to experience it.
          > I plan on taking Yarts from Mammouth to Yosemite, we are leaving our
          > vehicles in Mammouth.
          > Once the Yarts drops us off at Yosemite, how long of a walk is it to
          > the office to pick up our permit??
          > As far as I know there is daily service from Mammouth to Yosemite, does
          > anyone know if this is accurate??
          > Lastly once we get dropped off and pick up our permit is there
          > small/affordale camp ground we could stay while we wait for the
          > following day??
          > Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Jay Strine

        • thomas taylor
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
            Well, I probably shouldn't be 'broadcasting' this but
            if the backpackers campground is full, which is
            usually the case during season, and camp 4 is full
            which is also usually the case, then you CAN:

            1. Crash out in the car in the backpackers parking
            lot (which is what I usually did).

            2. Find a secluded spot near the , er, creek and
            camp. Not legal but if you set up late, as I did, no
            one notices. Once, though, the park had a bear trap
            set up about 50 meters from where I placed my tent.
            Sure enough a bear walked into it and was not pleased
            about it and banged around until the park came along
            and hauled him away.

            3. Pine campground is located right across from the
            backpackers parking. Its a large campground with
            plenty of excess room for the campers near the road.
            Just walk-up and politely ask of you can set up 'over
            there' - 20 or so meters from their camp. They always
            give their permission. Don't get drunk, throw a
            party, and create a disturbance. If you do, you never
            heard of me.

            Thomas

            Best regards,

            Thomas

            Thomas Taylor
            tgtaylor7@...
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/tgtaylor7
          • Paul England
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
              Hi Jay -

              There is a daily bus from Mammoth to Yosemite - you can check the schedule online.
              It is a short walk to the ranger station (near the visitor center) to pick up your permit.
              I would make a campground reservation now for the Valley. That way you know you have a place to camp and are not breaking the rules. Yosemite Valley is way too crowded to have people camping in non-camping areas.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2007
                The " is there
                > small/affordable camp ground we could stay while we
                > wait for the
                > following day??" referred to (i.e., camp 4 and the
                backpackers campground are "walk-in" only.
                Reservations are not accepted for those campgrounds.
                If they are full, then the only other alternative is
                the more expensive choices: Camp Curry, Yosemite Lodge
                or, heavens forbid, the Awhawne! Well one night isn't
                going to break the bank but they might be full too.

                Except during the winter, I am very seldom in the
                valley except for overnight. If I'm hiking in late in
                the afternoon (which is usually the case) I'll stop
                and camp for the night within a few miles of the
                Valley. If I'll be leaving from the Valley, then I
                usually arrive late at night - usually around midnight
                - and normally stay in the car in the backpackers
                parking lot as I am usually too sleepy to hunt around
                with the flashlight for a place to setup.

                A good alternative for Jay if its crowded would be to
                start from Mammoth. There is always a spot at Reds -
                shower and all - and it's free. If it will be late
                arriving in the Valley, he can setup camp for the
                night some where between Lake Merced and Little
                Yosemite. Along the river a couple of miles from
                Little Yosemite is ideal. Little Yosemite is always
                crowded with people and bears. I remember hiking thru
                and saw a little girl placing several M&M's in front
                of her tent door. "Who's the M&M's for sweetheart?" I
                asked, "The bear."

                Thomas