[John Muir Trail] Re:August Trip

  • BillHilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2007
      I used the packer from Independence who comes out of Onion Valley to
      Charlotte Lake Ranger Station. They have a bear secure 55 gal drum to
      leave your package to you don't have to meet at a certain time. Cost
      me about $250. At that point in the trip ( I'm 65> it was worth not
      having to hike out.

      Sequoia Kings Pack Trains
      Headquarters Onion Valley
      P.O. Box 209
      Independence, CA 93526

      760/387-2797
      800/962-0775

      Bill

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Pete Nagy <pnagy1@...> wrote:

      > Jim,
      > Thanks alot for the info. This seems like a very good option fo us
      to try. I am looking forward to being back in the Sierras.
      > Pete
      > ---- Jim McCrain <jim@...> wrote:
      > > Howdy Pete!
      > > There is a resupply option that I rarely hear anyone talk about,
      but I use it all the time. You can send a package to the Ranger
      Station at Road's End in Kings Canyon National Park. The hike out to
      Roads End is very nice, exceptionally pretty, and very easy. (Most of
      it is down-hill.) You can pick up your package and then head back to
      the trail via one of two ways. First, hike back UP HILL to where you
      left the trail at Woods Creek campground. (Near the Suspension Bridge.)

      > > The second re-entry is to follow the trail from Road's End to
      Vidette Meadows, hiking along Bubb's Creek. This is the most direct
      route to rejoin the JMT, but it does miss the "Rae Lakes" and Glen
      Pass route. Easier, and shorter, but you miss some good scenerey.

      > > Option #1 only adds about 15 miles of "back-tracking," but the
      view of Mist Falls is well worth seeing twice. Be warned, though.
      The hike through "Paradise Valley" has a LOT of bear activity in it.
      Be sure to use your bear cannisters through here!

      > > You can call the Rangers at King's Canyon and get all of the
      logistical information. Give them a try! It sure beats trying to
      hitch-hike!