August Trip

  • pete
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2007
      Three of us will be hiking the trail SoBo this August and I was
      wondering if anyone can help with a food resupplyafter Muir Ranch.
      About 10 years ago we did the trail and did not use a resupply but
      being a little older (57) and hopefully smarter we would like an
      additional food pickup to make the trip a little more fun.
      Any ideas about resupply caches, services or other ideas for food?

      Thanks,
      Pete
    • Jim Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2007
        Hi Pete......

        I feel your pain. We did JMT SB in 2003 and our last
        resupply was vermillion. Needless to say we ran out
        of food and fuel. But, we were highly successful in
        begging for food from the weekenders. All weekenders
        tend to take too much food, I know I do. Plus, the
        backcountry cabins have "hiker boxes" for the taking
        and leaving of extras.

        We were so successful in begging we joked that we
        could probably do the whole trail without packing any
        food or fuel!!!!

        Check out the trip report. My buddy, who took most of
        the photos has now turned semi-professional and we
        plan on doing the trail again probably next year.

        http://www.catchafallingstar.com/jmt/johnmuirtrail2003.htm

        Have fun!!!! I wish I was going again this year.

        Jim
        --- pete <pnagy1@...> wrote:

        > Three of us will be hiking the trail SoBo this
        > August and I was
        > wondering if anyone can help with a food
        > resupplyafter Muir Ranch.
        > About 10 years ago we did the trail and did not use
        > a resupply but
        > being a little older (57) and hopefully smarter we
        > would like an
        > additional food pickup to make the trip a little
        > more fun.
        > Any ideas about resupply caches, services or other
        > ideas for food?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Pete

        The fish are biting.
      • Frank Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pete" <pnagy1@...> wrote:

          > Three of us will be hiking the trail SoBo this August and I was
          > wondering if anyone can help with a food resupplyafter Muir Ranch.
          > About 10 years ago we did the trail and did not use a resupply but
          > being a little older (57) and hopefully smarter we would like an
          > additional food pickup to make the trip a little more fun.
          > Any ideas about resupply caches, services or other ideas for food?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Pete

          The easiest resupply after MTR is the town of Independence. Coming
          over Gleen Pass head up to Kersage Lakes. There are campsites and
          bear boxes there. Go over and down Kersage Pass to Onion valley and
          hitch hike to Independence. It is about 23 hitch miles but it is a
          well used TH with a campground.

          Most people mail a resupply to the Post office in Independence. Check
          and see what time/days it is open. There is also a small market there
          with limited supplies. Inyo Transit also runs a few busses between
          Lone Pine and Bishop if you need a larger market.

          If you get an early start you can be down to Independence pick up your
          resupply and be back up by the afternoon. I consider it an 'easy pass'
          although it gets very hot in the mid-day. If there are several people
          in the group just set up camp at kersage lakes and one person go down
          with an empty pack and p/u resupply. If you don't feel you can make
          it back there are several motels in Independence.
        • Jim McCrain
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2007
            Howdy Pete!
            There is a resupply option that I rarely hear anyone talk about, but I use it all the time. You can send a package to the Ranger Station at Road's End in Kings Canyon National Park. The hike out to Roads End is very nice, exceptionally pretty, and very easy. (Most of it is down-hill.) You can pick up your package and then head back to the trail via one of two ways. First, hike back UP HILL to where you left the trail at Woods Creek campground. (Near the Suspension Bridge.)

            The second re-entry is to follow the trail from Road's End to Vidette Meadows, hiking along Bubb's Creek. This is the most direct route to rejoin the JMT, but it does miss the "Rae Lakes" and Glen Pass route. Easier, and shorter, but you miss some good scenerey.

            Option #1 only adds about 15 miles of "back-tracking," but the view of Mist Falls is well worth seeing twice. Be warned, though. The hike through "Paradise Valley" has a LOT of bear activity in it. Be sure to use your bear cannisters through here!

            You can call the Rangers at King's Canyon and get all of the logistical information. Give them a try! It sure beats trying to hitch-hike!

            Cheers!

            Jim

            Posted by: "pete" pnagy1@... fredthe12000
            Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:59 am (PST)