Early July JMT

  • hippyfoot77
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello all! A friend and I are planning to hike JMT from S to N in
      early July. (Starting around the 3rd) I was wondering from the past
      years how the snow has been on some of the passes? Could you get by
      just post-holing, or would you suggest axe and crampons? Sweet, well,
      any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Have a great
      day!
    • Frank Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2007
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "hippyfoot77" <HippyFoot@...> wrote:

        > Hello all! A friend and I are planning to hike JMT from S to N in
        > early July. (Starting around the 3rd) I was wondering from the past
        > years how the snow has been on some of the passes? Could you get by
        > just post-holing, or would you suggest axe and crampons? Sweet, well,
        > any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Have a great
        > day!

        It varies from year to year.

        2004 not much snow and an early season melt and passes were quite easy
        mid-June

        2005 heavy snow year throughout entire Sierra. I started mid-July in
        a lot of snow

        2006 heavy snow in N. Sierra

        2007 So far very little snow but who knows.

        As time draws near log on to trailjournals.com and read the Posts from
        the PCT hikers.

        They generally hit Kennady Meadows just South of Whitney around June
        10th or so.

        Then you can make your final decision.

        If nothing else you will be following the 'pack' of PCT hikers and
        going in the same direction as them.

        By July 3 there should be plenty of tracks over the passes.

        frank