Re: [John Muir Trail] GPS's

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2007
      I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one for my
      hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the trail. We use
      it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we are from each
      other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device that well,
      got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an hour away
      from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device and could
      see where he was versus the trail. Cool.

      This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS frequencies) plus
      a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps (such as
      Sequoia National Park).

      --- Jim <jvfbender@...> wrote:

      > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would
      > probably be a novelty as
      > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how many
      > backpackers these
      > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who use them,
      > what
      > features do they recommend?

    • Kevin Aston
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
        I have a Rino 530 and a Rino 120. They can talk to each other and
        show me where on the map the other person it. The 530 also has an
        altimeter so it gives accurate elevations. I like using it as I
        know exactly where I am (unless the trees are to thick) and how far
        it is to my next camp or stream. I hve GPS coordinates on my website
        for JMT at www.kevinaston.com if you wish to download them. I love
        having the GPS and plan on getting another 30 before my July
        tripthis summer. I got my permit paper work and reservation # for
        July 19th on Tuesday. I'm ready to start hiking now.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
        wrote:

        > I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one for
        my
        > hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the
        trail. We use
        > it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we are
        from each
        > other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device
        that well,
        > got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an
        hour away
        > from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device
        and could
        > see where he was versus the trail. Cool.
        >
        > This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS
        frequencies) plus
        > a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps (such
        as
        > Sequoia National Park).
        >
        > --- Jim <jvfbender@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would
        > > probably be a novelty as
        > > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how
        many
        > > backpackers these
        > > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who
        use them,
        > > what
        > > features do they recommend?

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...>
          wrote:

          > I have a Rino 530 and a Rino 120. They can talk to each other and
          > show me where on the map the other person it. The 530 also has an
          > altimeter so it gives accurate elevations. I like using it as I
          > know exactly where I am (unless the trees are to thick) and how
          far
          > it is to my next camp or stream. I have GPS coordinates on my
          website
          > for JMT at www.kevinaston.com if you wish to download them. I
          love
          > having the GPS and plan on getting another 530 before my July
          > trip this summer. I got my permit paper work and reservation #
          for
          > July 19th on Tuesday. I'm ready to start hiking now.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one
          for
          > my
          > > hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the
          > trail. We use
          > > it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we
          are
          > from each
          > > other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device
          > that well,
          > > got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an
          > hour away
          > > from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device
          > and could
          > > see where he was versus the trail. Cool.
          > >
          > > This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS
          > frequencies) plus
          > > a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps
          (such
          > as
          > > Sequoia National Park).
          > >
          > > --- Jim <jvfbender@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS
          would
          > > > probably be a novelty as
          > > > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing
          how
          > many
          > > > backpackers these
          > > > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those
          who
          > use them,
          > > > what
          > > > features do they recommend?

        • Jamie F. Dahl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
            I used to use a GPS way back when, now when I carry one, it's to see how far I've run. IF you take the time to learn how to work w/ a map and compass you do not really need the GPS, it IS a nice to have, but a: it's just one more thing that can break in the woods, and B: It weighs more then map and compass (not much, but oz are oz..)

            FWIW, I prefer the national geographic software too over the Garmin software. Garmin is only good to 100K, which a 100K map is not very good for navigation if you are into self map making..

            Jamie Dahl

            "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir

            I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would probably be a novelty as

            opposed to a necessity... BUT... I am interested in knowing how many backpackers these

            days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who use them, what

            features do they recommend?

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;
            }
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            padding-top:10px;
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            margin:0;
            }
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar{
            clear:both;
            margin:25px 0;
            white-space:nowrap;
            color:#666;
            text-align:right;
            }
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;
            white-space:nowrap;
            }
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            padding:15px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-ft{
            font-family:verdana;
            font-size:77%;
            border-top:1px solid #666;
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;
            }

            #ygrp-vital{
            background-color:#e0ecee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            font-size:77%;
            font-family:Verdana;
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#333;
            text-transform:uppercase;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;
            margin:2px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            list-style-type:none;
            clear:both;
            border:1px solid #e0ecee;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#ff7900;
            float:right;
            width:2em;
            text-align:right;
            padding-right:.5em;
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;
            }
            #ygrp-vital a {
            text-decoration:none;
            }

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;
            }

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;
            font-size:77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            padding:6px 13px;
            background-color:#e0ecee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;
            margin:0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            list-style-type:square;
            padding:6px 0;
            font-size:77%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;
            font-size:130%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
            background-color:#eee;
            margin-bottom:20px;
            padding:0 8px;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            font-family:Arial;
            font-weight:bold;
            color:#628c2a;
            font-size:100%;
            line-height:122%;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;
            }
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;
            }
            o {font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;
            }
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;
            }
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq {margin:4;}
            -->

          • Kevin Aston
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
              Jamie I don't understand your statement: "Garmin is only good to
              100K, which a 100K map is not very good for navigation if
              you are into self map making". My Garmin Mapsource gives me top
              quality topo maps in color, either to print or use on my GPS, I can
              make all of my own waypoints, or notes on the map, see all of the
              surrounding streams and peaks, so I am confused by your statement,
              so what do you mean?

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie F. Dahl" <m34tba11@...>