Half Dome sells out in 23min

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2011
      This is one of the reasons (not the only one I know), I bet, we're having problems getting JMT permits. Want to bet some of the Half Dome hikers are applying for JMT permits just to do Half Dome? Anyone can bail out after they get their thru-Sunset permit. Anyone who goes for a permit to camp just past the Half Dome Junction the first day are nicely setup to do Half Dome the next morning, they're only about 1 mile uphill from the Half Dome Junction or so.

      Sent to you by Roleigh Martin via Google Reader:

      via besthike.com blog by coach Rick on 3/10/11

      Yosemite, California.

      If you were planning on climbing Half Dome this summer, you’ll have to wait until the next batch of permits (for July climbs) become available on April 1. This year, permits for climbing Half Dome are required on ALL days, not just weekends and holidays like last summer.

      The first round of permits (for May and June climbs) went on sale on March 1 and sold out in twenty-three minutes. And that was just the permits for weekdays. Saturday and Sunday permits sold out in only ten minutes. …

      Daily Hiker

      original photo on flickr

      Things you can do from here: