GPS's

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2007
      I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would probably be a novelty as
      opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how many backpackers these
      days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who use them, what
      features do they recommend?
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2007
        I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one for my
        hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the trail. We use
        it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we are from each
        other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device that well,
        got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an hour away
        from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device and could
        see where he was versus the trail. Cool.

        This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS frequencies) plus
        a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps (such as
        Sequoia National Park).

        --- Jim <jvfbender@...> wrote:

        > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would
        > probably be a novelty as
        > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how many
        > backpackers these
        > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who use them,
        > what
        > features do they recommend?

      • Kevin Aston
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
          I have a Rino 530 and a Rino 120. They can talk to each other and
          show me where on the map the other person it. The 530 also has an
          altimeter so it gives accurate elevations. I like using it as I
          know exactly where I am (unless the trees are to thick) and how far
          it is to my next camp or stream. I hve GPS coordinates on my website
          for JMT at www.kevinaston.com if you wish to download them. I love
          having the GPS and plan on getting another 30 before my July
          tripthis summer. I got my permit paper work and reservation # for
          July 19th on Tuesday. I'm ready to start hiking now.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...>
          wrote:

          > I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one for
          my
          > hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the
          trail. We use
          > it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we are
          from each
          > other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device
          that well,
          > got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an
          hour away
          > from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device
          and could
          > see where he was versus the trail. Cool.
          >
          > This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS
          frequencies) plus
          > a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps (such
          as
          > Sequoia National Park).
          >
          > --- Jim <jvfbender@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would
          > > probably be a novelty as
          > > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing how
          many
          > > backpackers these
          > > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who
          use them,
          > > what
          > > features do they recommend?

        • Kevin Aston
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Aston" <kevin@...>
            wrote:

            > I have a Rino 530 and a Rino 120. They can talk to each other and
            > show me where on the map the other person it. The 530 also has an
            > altimeter so it gives accurate elevations. I like using it as I
            > know exactly where I am (unless the trees are to thick) and how
            far
            > it is to my next camp or stream. I have GPS coordinates on my
            website
            > for JMT at www.kevinaston.com if you wish to download them. I
            love
            > having the GPS and plan on getting another 530 before my July
            > trip this summer. I got my permit paper work and reservation #
            for
            > July 19th on Tuesday. I'm ready to start hiking now.
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I use the Garmin Rino (with 8mb) and have two, one for me, one
            for
            > my
            > > hiking partner who is always about 1 hour ahead of me on the
            > trail. We use
            > > it to talk to each other as well as see how far back/ahead we
            are
            > from each
            > > other. Once my partner, who does not know how to use the device
            > that well,
            > > got lost, and I was able to see where he went off trail from an
            > hour away
            > > from him, as I had the Sequoia National Park (HST) on the device
            > and could
            > > see where he was versus the trail. Cool.
            > >
            > > This Garmin Rino is a combination walkie talkie (GRS/FRS
            > frequencies) plus
            > > a GPS and a GPS that can contain downloadable/purchased maps
            (such
            > as
            > > Sequoia National Park).
            > >
            > > --- Jim <jvfbender@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS
            would
            > > > probably be a novelty as
            > > > opposed to a necessity...BUT... I am interested in knowing
            how
            > many
            > > > backpackers these
            > > > days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those
            who
            > use them,
            > > > what
            > > > features do they recommend?

          • Jamie F. Dahl
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
              I used to use a GPS way back when, now when I carry one, it's to see how far I've run. IF you take the time to learn how to work w/ a map and compass you do not really need the GPS, it IS a nice to have, but a: it's just one more thing that can break in the woods, and B: It weighs more then map and compass (not much, but oz are oz..)

              FWIW, I prefer the national geographic software too over the Garmin software. Garmin is only good to 100K, which a 100K map is not very good for navigation if you are into self map making..

              Jamie Dahl

              "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir

              I know the JMT is a well traveled and marked trail so a GPS would probably be a novelty as

              opposed to a necessity... BUT... I am interested in knowing how many backpackers these

              days use a GPS. How do they use them most often? OF those who use them, what

              features do they recommend?

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;
              }
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;
              }
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              padding-top:10px;
              font-family:Verdana;
              font-size:77%;
              margin:0;
              }
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;
              }
              #ygrp-actbar{
              clear:both;
              margin:25px 0;
              white-space:nowrap;
              color:#666;
              text-align:right;
              }
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;
              white-space:nowrap;
              }
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              font-family:Verdana;
              font-size:77%;
              padding:15px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-ft{
              font-family:verdana;
              font-size:77%;
              border-top:1px solid #666;
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;
              }

              #ygrp-vital{
              background-color:#e0ecee;
              margin-bottom:20px;
              padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
              }
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              font-size:77%;
              font-family:Verdana;
              font-weight:bold;
              color:#333;
              text-transform:uppercase;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;
              margin:2px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              list-style-type:none;
              clear:both;
              border:1px solid #e0ecee;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              font-weight:bold;
              color:#ff7900;
              float:right;
              width:2em;
              text-align:right;
              padding-right:.5em;
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;
              }
              #ygrp-vital a {
              text-decoration:none;
              }

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;
              }

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;
              font-size:77%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              padding:6px 13px;
              background-color:#e0ecee;
              margin-bottom:20px;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;
              margin:0;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              list-style-type:square;
              padding:6px 0;
              font-size:77%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;
              font-size:130%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
              background-color:#eee;
              margin-bottom:20px;
              padding:0 8px;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              font-family:Arial;
              font-weight:bold;
              color:#628c2a;
              font-size:100%;
              line-height:122%;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;
              }
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;
              }
              o {font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal {
              margin:0 0 0 0;
              }
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;
              }
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq {margin:4;}
              -->

            • Kevin Aston
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
                Jamie I don't understand your statement: "Garmin is only good to
                100K, which a 100K map is not very good for navigation if
                you are into self map making". My Garmin Mapsource gives me top
                quality topo maps in color, either to print or use on my GPS, I can
                make all of my own waypoints, or notes on the map, see all of the
                surrounding streams and peaks, so I am confused by your statement,
                so what do you mean?

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie F. Dahl" <m34tba11@...>