Re: The scoop on poop

  • John
    Message 1 of 64 , Apr 3 6:24 PM
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > The purpose of executives is to make sensible exceptions to general rules.

      And here I always thought the purposes of executives was to screw people, screw the environment and break laws in the name of the bottom line? ;-)

      sincere apologies to any exec's out there....

      JD
      Message 64 of 64 , Apr 20 8:06 PM
        On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM, <ned@...> wrote:

        My next related question is why do they usually buy shoes 2 to 3 times (or more) [I assume Ned means 2-3 sizes and is exaggerating a tad] bigger than their foot size and not understand why their feet expand to fit the shoes over time?

        Due to the "wisdom of crowds" / online suggestions, to which Ned refers, I have experimented with boots one size too big (not 2 or 3!) and never found it helped.  One way you can test it for yourself is (like I did) go to an REI used gear sale and get a pair of used boots cheap a size biggger than usual and see what you think.  My conclusion after trying a $8 "oversize" boot was to stick to boots that were my "normal" size.

        I've not researched it, though, to see if there is any "science" on the question.  Seems like boot manufacturers have every reason to (1) know about boots and (2) want their boots to work for you. I don't see them recommending going a size up.

        I suspect Ned is right that the oversize boot can cause the foot to swell as the blood fills the available space.

        MAYBE if you have worn normal size boots and found that they get too tight over time, you might want to test the theory that recommends the oversizing of the boot.  But if "normal" boots work for you, I'd stick with them.  My own guess is that if you want to try a bigger than normal boot size I'd go to a slightly wider boot before trying a bigger size.

        John