Matters scatalogical

  • Amanda L Silvestri
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 11:05 AM
      I notice that this conversation (fascinating as it is, and it is) seems to be focusing on the HOW of the matter.  Let me offer a comment on the WHERE.   To the degree that it is possible it might be a good idea not to poop near your camp site.  Many of us don't cook and eat at our campsite, so why should we poop there?

      I offer this suggestion as a result of asking myself "Does the bear shit in the woods?"  If he does, and I believe that he does, why is his poop not a problem?  So I guess what I am suggesting is a sort of stealth-pooping.  For example, if I am approaching my planned-on camping area, say I'm a mile or so out, I can wonder off the trail, at least 100 feet, do my business, collect my paper for later disposal, and leave the poop and pee mixed and left to oxidize either on the surface or buried in a shallow grave.

      By choosing such a spot, my leavings are very unlikely to be discovered by another hiker and will decompose like any other animal's in the forest.  In the morning, I can do the same, hike for a distance before I poop and then do so in some place where others are unlikely to follow.  I would still need to collect my paper as I don't want my little forest friends digging it up and spreading it all about.  It is just the poop itself that I think will biodegrade rather quickly and if placed in some out of the way spot that won't offend any other hikers.

      Amanda
    • targetdoggmechanic
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3 4:41 PM
        I practice this same method. I poop stealth like in overgrown sloped areas that no one would think of camping at. Nothing pisses me off more than a nice well used camp spot with a poop pile in it or near it. Take the paper and burn it in a camp fire if I have one, or carry it away until I do. It really isnt that bad.