Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Seeking High Sierra Trip Reccomendation

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      Absolutely, Moraine Lake is a great stop -- we enjoyed the swim in the lake
      around end of July, 2006. Kern Hot Springs another great. The HST is such
      a fantastic trail, well maintained. Bear Boxes everywhere except Twin
      Lakes just East of Whitney Summit.

    • Patronio@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
        Dear group members:
        The High Sierra Trail is a trail that I have heard many times, but never
        managed to gather much information. Can you tell me how long it is (miles) where
        does it starts and ends? I know that ends at the summit of Mt. Whitney, but
        where does it start? Any publication about it available? Permits requried? etc.
        J.

      • Jamie F. Dahl
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2007
          I do believe the HST starts in Crescent Meadow on the Western End of Sequoia.

          The one thing I have heard/seen in topos is the trail is really only about 80 miles long. I 've read/heard some people will leave the main trail on other side trails, and bring them back around in order to make it a longer trail. But I think if you just walk the designated HST, it's maybe a 1-2 week run..

          shoot, according to wikipedia, it's even shorter..

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sierra_Trail
          good luck

          Jamie Dahl

          "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir

          The High Sierra Trail is a trail that I have heard many times, but never

          managed to gather much information. Can you tell me how long it is (miles) where

          does it starts and ends? I know that ends at the summit of Mt. Whitney, but

          where does it start? Any publication about it available? Permits requried? etc.

          J.

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{