Re: [John Muir Trail] SPOT Satellite Communicator Replacement

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      A 5.5 oz PLB with GPS exists -- http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/what_is_fast_find/fast_find_210.php
      also a PLB with GPS and ability to send out "I am OK" messages too:
      http://www.acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2885
      but it is 8.9 oz.

      On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Ed Rodriguez <ed_rodriguez52@...> wrote:

      About 4 year ago I look down on the SPOT, I had be leave that a backpacker should have the skill needed to deal with any situation.   But now my views have change, after reading people journals and when they used them I realize SPOT have a place in someone gear list. But now I question the reliably of the SPOT units. If I recall they recall or they (SPOT) had some other issues last year and now these problems makes me wonder how a person can depend on them in a life and death moment.  What else is there in the market that will help people reach 911