Re: Seeking High Sierra Trip Reccomendation

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      The possibilities are numorous but the HST is a dandy trip. I did the
      trail in sections on other trips and finally started at Crescent Mdw
      coming back via Blackrock Pass a few years ago. This finished the
      entire trail for me. However, I would go back and do it as a single
      trip in a heartbeat. The bonus is Kern Hot Spring. The view from
      Bearpaw is spectacular and I would take the detour to Moraine Lake
      rather than the trail that bypasses it. Years before I did the last
      part we spent a night at Moraine Lake.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
        Absolutely, Moraine Lake is a great stop -- we enjoyed the swim in the lake
        around end of July, 2006. Kern Hot Springs another great. The HST is such
        a fantastic trail, well maintained. Bear Boxes everywhere except Twin
        Lakes just East of Whitney Summit.

      • Patronio@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
          Dear group members:
          The High Sierra Trail is a trail that I have heard many times, but never
          managed to gather much information. Can you tell me how long it is (miles) where
          does it starts and ends? I know that ends at the summit of Mt. Whitney, but
          where does it start? Any publication about it available? Permits requried? etc.
          J.

        • Jamie F. Dahl
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2007
            I do believe the HST starts in Crescent Meadow on the Western End of Sequoia.

            The one thing I have heard/seen in topos is the trail is really only about 80 miles long. I 've read/heard some people will leave the main trail on other side trails, and bring them back around in order to make it a longer trail. But I think if you just walk the designated HST, it's maybe a 1-2 week run..

            shoot, according to wikipedia, it's even shorter..

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sierra_Trail
            good luck

            Jamie Dahl

            "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir

            The High Sierra Trail is a trail that I have heard many times, but never

            managed to gather much information. Can you tell me how long it is (miles) where

            does it starts and ends? I know that ends at the summit of Mt. Whitney, but

            where does it start? Any publication about it available? Permits requried? etc.

            J.

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{