Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply at VVR by 3rd party vendor

  • Stuart Dodson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
      HiMartin
       Don't sweat too much on resupplying from abroad, I looked at it and with Bob Shattucks guidance
      gave up on the idea as too much hassle and costly i.e postage, buckets, zip locks, and time. A colleague of mine in a large group bought all the stuff in Merced and just about filled a motel room when opening packets,repackaging and post boxing for the whole trip.
       I supplied in Trader Joes in SF(4days) then resupplied at TM,(4days)VVR(4days) and MTR(7 days). apart from MTR I carried 1 day extra emergency food. Unless you have particular dietary requirements its not likely to be worth the trouble.
      I think Bob ate my emergency days food sometime.(Only joking Bob I ate it at Base camp) Great trip and the smell of beer and pizza at WP will drive you on and your bear barrel will be empty!
      English Stu

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        Stu,

        That's supposed to be our little secret . . . aside from the McDonalds just behind the Muir hut and the heated bathrooms every five hundred yards on the JMT . . . don't tell anyone . . . and they squabble over what tent pegs to bring so they can dig a trench. Ha!!!!

        Martin, Yes, if you're not too worried about what you eat, and you're willing to take chances, you can do the JMT almost by just buying food along the way until you get to the VVR or MTR––then it's a good idea to maybe have a bucket or a box waiting (but that's another secret)

        BOB

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
          On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:52 AM, mountain_minerals <mbrown4444@...> wrote:

          i,
          In an earlier posting (msg #12860), someone had tried and failed to
          resupply at TM by ordering food directly from REI.

          My question is: has anyone successfully used this method to resupply
          from REI (or any other vendor) at VVR?

          A couple years ago I corresponded with the owner of Wilderness Dining here in So-Cal and he said he has done resupply shipments to both VVR and MTR (in the required bucket).
          Here's the contact info-
          Phone: (949) 679-7371
          Email: "Eric - Wilderness Dining" <eric@...>

          Jim