Seeking High Sierra Trip Reccomendation

  • Steve Schroeder
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
      Hi,

      My name is Steve. My 15 year old son and I hiked the JMT last summer
      and we're looking for another approx. 2 week trip to take this
      summer. We did the JMT in 28 days and we like to hike about 8-10
      miles a day. We were looking at the High Sierra Trail but would like
      to hear of any other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance.
    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
        The possibilities are numorous but the HST is a dandy trip. I did the
        trail in sections on other trips and finally started at Crescent Mdw
        coming back via Blackrock Pass a few years ago. This finished the
        entire trail for me. However, I would go back and do it as a single
        trip in a heartbeat. The bonus is Kern Hot Spring. The view from
        Bearpaw is spectacular and I would take the detour to Moraine Lake
        rather than the trail that bypasses it. Years before I did the last
        part we spent a night at Moraine Lake.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Schroeder"

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 24, 2007
          Absolutely, Moraine Lake is a great stop -- we enjoyed the swim in the lake
          around end of July, 2006. Kern Hot Springs another great. The HST is such
          a fantastic trail, well maintained. Bear Boxes everywhere except Twin
          Lakes just East of Whitney Summit.

        • Patronio@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 25, 2007
            Dear group members:
            The High Sierra Trail is a trail that I have heard many times, but never
            managed to gather much information. Can you tell me how long it is (miles) where
            does it starts and ends? I know that ends at the summit of Mt. Whitney, but
            where does it start? Any publication about it available? Permits requried? etc.
            J.

          • Jamie F. Dahl
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2007
              I do believe the HST starts in Crescent Meadow on the Western End of Sequoia.

              The one thing I have heard/seen in topos is the trail is really only about 80 miles long. I 've read/heard some people will leave the main trail on other side trails, and bring them back around in order to make it a longer trail. But I think if you just walk the designated HST, it's maybe a 1-2 week run..

              shoot, according to wikipedia, it's even shorter..

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sierra_Trail
              good luck

              Jamie Dahl

              "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life." --John Muir

              The High Sierra Trail is a trail that I have heard many times, but never

              managed to gather much information. Can you tell me how long it is (miles) where

              does it starts and ends? I know that ends at the summit of Mt. Whitney, but

              where does it start? Any publication about it available? Permits requried? etc.

              J.

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{