Resupply at VVR by 3rd party vendor

  • mountain_minerals
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2011
      Hi,
      In an earlier posting (msg #12860), someone had tried and failed to
      resupply at TM by ordering food directly from REI.

      My question is: has anyone successfully used this method to resupply
      from REI (or any other vendor) at VVR?

      Reading the VVR site, it seems like you need a supplier prepared to put
      a little extra effort into labelling your package and one who'll either
      let you choose a courier or (based on VVR's stated preference) always
      uses UPS.

      Like the earlier poster I'm an overseas visitor, so logistically this is
      probably the easiest way to arrange a resupply.
      Cheers,
      Martin.
    • Stuart Dodson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        HiMartin
         Don't sweat too much on resupplying from abroad, I looked at it and with Bob Shattucks guidance
        gave up on the idea as too much hassle and costly i.e postage, buckets, zip locks, and time. A colleague of mine in a large group bought all the stuff in Merced and just about filled a motel room when opening packets,repackaging and post boxing for the whole trip.
         I supplied in Trader Joes in SF(4days) then resupplied at TM,(4days)VVR(4days) and MTR(7 days). apart from MTR I carried 1 day extra emergency food. Unless you have particular dietary requirements its not likely to be worth the trouble.
        I think Bob ate my emergency days food sometime.(Only joking Bob I ate it at Base camp) Great trip and the smell of beer and pizza at WP will drive you on and your bear barrel will be empty!
        English Stu

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          Stu,

          That's supposed to be our little secret . . . aside from the McDonalds just behind the Muir hut and the heated bathrooms every five hundred yards on the JMT . . . don't tell anyone . . . and they squabble over what tent pegs to bring so they can dig a trench. Ha!!!!

          Martin, Yes, if you're not too worried about what you eat, and you're willing to take chances, you can do the JMT almost by just buying food along the way until you get to the VVR or MTR––then it's a good idea to maybe have a bucket or a box waiting (but that's another secret)

          BOB

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2011
            On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:52 AM, mountain_minerals <mbrown4444@...> wrote:

            i,
            In an earlier posting (msg #12860), someone had tried and failed to
            resupply at TM by ordering food directly from REI.

            My question is: has anyone successfully used this method to resupply
            from REI (or any other vendor) at VVR?

            A couple years ago I corresponded with the owner of Wilderness Dining here in So-Cal and he said he has done resupply shipments to both VVR and MTR (in the required bucket).
            Here's the contact info-
            Phone: (949) 679-7371
            Email: "Eric - Wilderness Dining" <eric@...>

            Jim